Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lyman Press - Problems!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Lyman Press - Problems!!!

Depending on just how far your looking to shoot the weight variation may or may not play much of a role in your overall accuracy. Yes if you have a custom hand lapped and fitted BR quality barrel and rifle it might show up some, but then again, it may not present a problem.

THe biggest thing I have found to ruin groups within say 500yds, is inconsistant seating depth and inconsistant powder charges. The seating depth on a good load can usually varey a few thou. one way or the other, with out throwing the whole group out. Same as the powder charge in a "good" load.

However if your teetering on the edge of a node in your load, then a host of other things could also come into play.

Worry about the load first, then sweat the seating. Generally you will find a load which works out well even if the weights and lengths of the bullets are off by a bit. Unless your really working on the absolute extreme of accuracy, the differences your seeing should not effect your groups.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 08-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Couple of other things to look at.

Primers are seated flush? If a primer is high then it will add to the overall length.

Measurement technique is consistent? If you measure 10 rounds and then throw them out on the carpet can you find each one again by re-measuring?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

What magman said and referred to the bullet comparator.

When I experience the 'problem' you mention it is usually due to the bullets having been formed with nonuniform tips or ogives. When this happens more of the bullet will fit into the seating rod than do others. Thus overall length variance.

I'd really consider the bullet comparator and measure the bearing surface length and sort by that length. Also take the seating die apart and put a bullet into the seating rod and see if the bullet goes in beyond the lead, ie., seating against the jacket not the lead tip.

Or rig up one of these gizmos and drill the holes straight and the correct size for what you want to do and its a pretty handy tool.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Gold Member

Yes the Primers are seated flush, bellow the brass cap.

"Measurement technique is consistent? If you measure 10 rounds and then throw them out on the carpet can you find each one again by re-measuring?"

Regarding this one.... ALL THE TIME I DOUBLE CHECK FOR EVERY ROUND, BRASS LENGHT, NECK DIAMETER, POWDER, PRIMER ("feeling" and visual), JUST TO AVOID MEASURING PROBLEMS.

The only place where i do not have consistency from one round to another is when I Seated the Round.

I will try to open the Die to see the way how the round is touching with the tip or with the ogive.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:26 AM
Gold Member

One other thing to look at.

When you pull your seating die down, measure the cup of the stems ID. THen check that against the depth it allows the bullet to be inserted. Check this against the comparator your using, and where it allows the contact to be on the bullet.

You might be able to use a smaller diameter comparator bushing to get closer to the same spot that each contact the bullet, which will or should get you a more accurate measurement. The variance your seeing might be in the profile of the ogive of each bullet being slightly different.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"