Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lyman dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lyman dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Ok the Lyman service department Tech called me a minute ago. He was very friendly and" mentioned that they were aware of the problem". He also said" I could send the part and sample bullets back and they'd fix it. Or I could drill it out a little bit". But I already returned the die set. So for the record : Lyman did call and offered to rectify the problem............ Gary sounds like a cool cartridge that 6/250 happy shooting !
it's a good round, and cases are real easy to form. But it also has one draw back. The neck's a little too short, thuse being a little hard on barrels. I'm going to build another one, but this time ream it off a 6mm Ackley reamer run in short. It's pretty much the samething but much longer (all Ackley rounds use the same taper). I may take it a step further and set it up to use the same .243 Win case I now use trimmed back to about 2.015". I know where a reamer is, and I can buy a 6XC seater plug from Redding or Forster to build the seater. The sizer won't be that hard to do as well, and I'll probably opt for a Wilson for range work.
gary
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lyman dies

"Lyman dies... for handguns and cast bullets. ... I like the way they...open the case body to seat the cast bullet better.."

Me too. For all straight walled cases and as an extra option for bottle necks, Lyman uses their "M" two step plus flare expander design which is excellant for both cast and jacketed bullet seating; in the world of conventional dies for either straight wall or bottle neck expanders that's the best design available. I know Redding has copied that expander design for their handgun dies and I think RCBS has recently done so as well. But, other than the M expander, I find no great or consistant funcitonal difference between any brands of conventional dies.

I love to play with my old 40X chambered for the (Walker) 6mm International with an original 2 oz trigger and a 24x Remington target scope in Unertl mounts that I bought from Mike Walker himself. The cartridge is a .250 Savage case sized to .24 and the shoulder set back about .1" so the necks are plenty long. Groups are consistanly at or under 3/8", I don't count the occasional smaller groups as anything but the statistical annomilies they are.