Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Luck with .30-378?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 PM

Re: Luck with .30-378?

My hunting partner shoots a 30-378. I reload his bullets. He shoots 1'moa with 180 gr ballistic tip nosler, 110 grains of H1000 with federal 215 mag primers,, The load is pushing the upper limits of the but preforms well in his Accumark weatherby, The pressure sign his consistantly show is a extractor button ring on the face of the rim but its killed deer out at 500 yards and that the way he likes it. I did not develop this load but have duplicated it many times. I have not chronographed it either.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
The pressure sign his consistantly show is a extractor button ring on the face of the rim

[/ QUOTE ]

I would highly recomend backing off of that load.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Boy that sounds familiar!

Anyway, if youre using a bipod or even a rest of sorts on the fore end of the stock, you will need to grind the lip off of the end of the stock under the barrel. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Accumarks are free floated.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

My accumark was free floated as long as you held the rifle at the pistol grip and pointed it in the air. As soon as you rested the rifle on a flat surface using a bipod, forget it. The weight of the barrel would push it into the stock and you could not slide a dollar bill between the stock and barrel. Once the lip was sanded off of the end of the stock, it worked fine.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:39 PM

My Sako TRG is a 30-378 and shooots very well. The action has been bedded and the barrel decronalized[?spelling].

Best loads for mine so far.

110gr H1000, fed 215 primer, combined tech failsafe 165gr@ 3343fps 3/8inch no presure signs.

122gr H870, fed 215 primer, combined tech failafe 180gr@ 3430fps 3/4inch no presure signs

Tried H50BMG in all loads and shot very poor {before action was bedded.}

Loaded H100@ 107gr and tore a ragged hole @ 2900fps. This is a dangerous load on the low side and fireballs are present.This was a printed load in a nosler manual.

My gun will not shoot barnes very well and prefers flat base bullets.

Nosler Manuals suck and I will never buy another one. They are full of bad info and lies.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Wunderdog

I know it seams crazy but I expermented with tip pressure
because mine did the same thing and went from 1.25 MOA to
.372 moa.

I used .020 shim stock and kept adding one shim at a time
by spreading the stock and barrel apart with one hand and
shooting 2 rounds each time.

AS Meichele said the stock is very flexible and you need
to rest it on or near the front bedding screw for the
best results.

My best load after finding the proper tip pressure was
118 GR H 50 bmg and a 180 gr partition seated to factory
length ( dont worry about reaching the lands because
you cant).

Also neck size only for better bullet alignmenton on long
throated rifels like the 30-378 accumark.

Try it you may be surprised . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

I have 3 Accumarks and load for another in 338-378 and all shoot very well. Sub 1/2" consistantly. All of them can easily slide 20 stacked dollar bills right to the action while resing on a bi-pod. My accuracy is best with max loads seated as long as the action will possibly feed from the magazine box. One of my loads jumps .450 to the rifling and it shoots .2"s to .3"s for 3 quick shots with witnesses. My groups did get more consistant with a nice skim bed job that included fully bedding the lug on all sides especially the bottom. Then adjust that trigger down to 1 pound and magic will happen. My rifles all clean up in 5 patches even after 40 to 50 rounds. 3 wet ones with Wipe Out primer. Soak in Wipe Out Foam overnight and 2 dry ones to push it out. No other products including WipeOut will produce any color on a second application. The 338-378 is shooting Barnes 225 TSX's @ 3330 and it has right at 100 rounds total and it takes two soaking with the Wipeout after 20 shots to clean it up. What are you using for a scope and mounts? For precise work I like at least a 20 power. How are you holding it? Free recoil, firm or light grip? They are very sensitive when your trying to do real precise paper work. It took me awhile to get any of them to group off of a bi-pod. For now I would stick to sand bags in a 2 point rest configuration. No Bullbag set ups. Also check that the front sling stud isn't hitting anything on recoil.

My 300Wby shoots best with 200 grain Accubonds over IMR-7828 and CCI-250 primers. The CCI primers helped all 4 guns verses the fed 215's. The 338-378 seems to like RL-25.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.