Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

LSR ladder test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: LSR ladder test

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb questions about the ladder test but until I joined this forum I had never heard of them:

1. Accurately spotting which round went where is critical to the success of the test therefore do you spot with a scope at 300 or do you walk and look allowing the barrel to cool?

2. Assuming you use a spot to identify round strike do you allow barrel to cool between shots?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

at 300yds my scopes are enough to see them

if not spot and plot each as it hits, or have a bud do it.

or as i have done several times, set up a video camera and record the group as it forms.

i limit ladders to 10 shots, and NO cooling time...if you wait then a light change could change your POI anough to negate the ladder.

YMMV,
JB
Old 07-24-2005, 12:12 PM

I do sort of what JB does..
I do video tape it...
but...

my initial test is done by firing 2 rounds off target
then I do the test for 10 shot with 1 min between shots.

once i get the load that seems to work I then do a ladder test with enough time between shots to cool down the barrel completely.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Ric, Actually, twist is 11 Broughton.Chris wasnt too sure how it would shoot the 220s. Not ignoring his advice , just had abunch of 220s on hand.I have a ladder test ready using the 200smks and H 1000 .Abinok suggested I try the H 1000 and I'm glad I did,cant wait to shoot the 200smks.

Harrakhan,
Its so hot right now that I shoot then get in my truck with the ac going full blast,drive to the target,mark the shot then back to shoot again.About seven minutes between shots .If I dont cool my face downit fogs the scope immediately with the way the humidity is now.
JB,
I load more rounds for my ladder to give me fouling shots and bring bbl. up to temp that it maintains (that hv #7 takes a while to cool down appreciably once the ambient air temp is 90 or over)a certain temp. between shots.That reminds me , has anyone played with a hand held infrared thermometer to determine bbl. temps with an eye towards improving shot to shot consistency?
I've got a nice big umbrella ,think I'll get me a 12volt fan and car battery to cool my face down ,clip it to the umbrella [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Jim B.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Jimm,
"I've got a nice big umbrella ,think I'll get me a 12volt fan and car battery to cool my face down ,clip it to the umbrella"
I use a folding desk fan at the range during these days of heat that runs off of 2 D cells for cooling off the barrels. Works great! I fortunately have a roof overhead at my range.
The fan was purchased at a wal-mart I think.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

mine came from wally world too, but 6D's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

JB
Old 07-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

jb - whats in the syringe? Are you lubing your bolt?
Old 07-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

grease...puttin it on the lugs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB