Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Low pressure sign??? 300RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Low pressure sign??? 300RUM

I've been lurking and learning here for a couple years, but mostly contribute on Kifaru. I consider Kifaru to be the very best forum for backpack hunting. And, along those same lines, LRH is the very best forum for practical long range field shooting. The knowledge base found here seems to be unmatched with regard to long range shooting.

I generally prefer "getting close" when hunting, but really enjoy longer range precision shooting. The procurement of a new Remington Sendero II in 300 RUM last year was a bit of an outlier for me as I'm predominantly a backpack hunter and lighter is better when it comes to getting a long ways back into the high and lonesome. But, the long-range bug bit me and I wanted a decent long-range platform that I could eventually have converted to a 338 Edge by Shawn Carlock.

I originally posted my problem over there, but it occured to me that by posting my experience here, I would a) garner some better information and subsequent solution, and b) perhaps the thread would help others avoid the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your input! - Allen

Here is the cut-and-paste (with slight edits) from my original post over on Kifaru....

I've never seen this first-hand before and thought it best to post up a couple pics and background on the particular situation before hurting myself or someone else on the firing line.

.300 Remington Ultra Mag - brand spanking new Remmy Sendero II
Nightforce 5.5-22X56 zero-stop with NF rings and bases, DE level and ADI
The usual anal retentive case prep including mild neck turn ( http://www.6mmbr.com/jgcaseprep.html )
A middlin' load of 90.7 grains of RE-25 behind a 175 SMK seated exactly to Sierra reloading manual specs.
Next step...off to fire-form the brass at the range and have some fun with this new rifle....

First round sent downrange was on the right. No chrony readout. Great.

Second round downrange resulted in the alarming oddity just below the shoulder. Again, no chrony readout. Damn thing was acting up.

That's precisely when the fun stopped.

Has anyone ever seen this before? And, much more importantly, what to make of it?

My second post on the thread to clarify some questions:

I suppose I should have noted that this was brand new brass. Nope, couldn't have been a lube issue since I use a minimum of RCBS Case Slick and religiously wipe down the case when it is no longer warranted in the loading process. Besides, a clean case helps when it comes to writing the powder charge on the side with a Sharpie. Chamber and bore were pristine and ready to be (post-factory) de-virginized.

Oh, and Flamingo, the cases were not "smoked". The only micrometered difference in the two, other than the obvious dent in the side of the one (which eventually experienced a quick wipe and a look-see with a magnifying glass), is the slightest midgeon shown on the one on the right on the shoulder just under the neck. Pretty darn clean actually.

I just can't figure out why, all things equal, that this would have happened.

I'm a newbie when it comes to stuffing this much powder in a case this big and am admittedly a wee bit apprehensive about touching more of them off if this is a potentially serious problem. I'd prefer to keep my cheek bone where it's at. Same goes for eyes, hands, etc.

Should I be concerned or just chalk it up as a fluke?

Thoughts? Once again, thanks in advance.

Allen

Last edited by Bushcraft; 03-25-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Low pressure sign??? 300RUM

I would check and be POSITIVE of my charge weight. did any other rounds do this ?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

it looks like a spot of oil on the case or in the chamber ?

low pressure wouldn't generally cause this , that normally leaves blackened residue around the neck of the case ?

your load seems fine , i would throughly clean the rifle and chamber not forgeting to dry the bore with a couple of patches with meths on then have another go ?

if your really worried about your handloads just buy a box of factory to try the gun and compare your loads to?

personally i wouldn't worry the next load will soon fire form it back to chamber size ?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM

MTBULLET,

Good question.

I not only double check the powder charge before putting it into the case, but I also check the weight of all fully loaded cartridges before placing them in my MTM ammo boxes for storage or field use. Perhaps a bit on the anal side but it gives me peace of mind when I'm laying down behind my rifles.

I perform this final weighing step because I goofed very early on in my reloading career and only primed a .44 Mag cartridge which subsequently bound up the revolver. That was a real eye-opener. Weighing each completed cartridge before storage is a quick and easy final check and I've done so religiously with the thousands of rounds of ammo I've stamped out since. So, the odds would be very, very, very long that the charge was off.

I spoke with Sierra today and the fellow wondered if the RL-25 might have been an off batch. He was also perplexed as to why there was so little powder residue on the neck of the fired case that I hadn't wiped down (the one on the right without the dent).

I wonder if stepping up to a heavier bullet might be the way to go with this powder? I have quite a few 190 SMK's on the shelf that I'd hoped to build my go-to load with, so that is a readily available option. I've also got a pound of Retumbo that I thought might try if I didn't initially get the results I was hoping for with the RL-25, but, as per the thread, perhaps a faster powder might be the way to go....thoughts???

I'm really stumped on this one as this cartridge is a whole new animal for me, a significant departure from my much more sedate .308 and .223 loads. I wouldn't be as concerned if the guys out there that have been reloading forever weren't also stumped.

Allen

Last edited by Bushcraft; 03-25-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

h-1000 is my go to powder in the 300 RUM. found it more consistant and a little "quicker". However I tend to shoot the 168 BERGER VLD on everything now, paper to Elk, as I found this combination to be excellent in my PAC-NOR bbl'd rifle.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

I'll go back through my notes this evening - I've seen this EXACT symptom before. I was fireforming brass for my 6.5-06AI. I'll dig out the details and let you know...I don't think I ever figured it out for sure, though. IIRC, I ended up switching powders after that. I also got weird chrony readings and an "off" sound when I touched the round off that got the dented shoulder.

I'll post more once I've looked over my notes at home.

Brian
Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Bronze Member

Allen- Please specify your primer. What primer are you using?

My load is 96.0 grains of RE 25, 180 Nosler Accubonds, Remington Brass, FED215m primers= 3250 fps and great groups out of my Sendero(s).

(it might be the scope. Please send it to me for 6 months for evaluation purposes. ).

Seriously, it seems to me it could only be in the chamber unless you are getting some kind of hang fire due to improper primers. Must be in the chamber if not.