Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

low end bullet expansion velocities?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Bronze Member

low end bullet expansion velocities?

If this doesn't belong here, please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum...Is these any way or place to find how low speed a particular brand/type of bullet can be relied on to expand? IMO, this would go far in determining bullet selection for extended range hunting.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: low end bullet expansion velocities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
If this doesn't belong here, please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum...Is these any way or place to find how low speed a particular brand/type of bullet can be relied on to expand? IMO, this would go far in determining bullet selection for extended range hunting.
Alot of the manufactures of dedicated hunting bullets publish minimum velocities. 1800fps is a pretty good bottom end speed to use for dedicated hunting bullets. Some are less some are more. you could also contact the manufacture if they don't publish #'s.

Steve

PS. Probably should have been posted in bullets, barrels, and ballistics. No big deal.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

You can also test these limits yourself with ballistic expansion media (expensive) or the stacked wet newspaper method and recover the bullets. Estimate the velocity/trajectory of your load over 1000 yards with a ballistics program and known muzzle velocity BC etc, then set your box w/ wet newspaper at varying distances at your limits and see if the bullet is expanding. If the bullet doesn't expand to your liking, don't shoot that distance. If you can't hit the box of newspaper, then don't shoot that distance either!!! This is a lot more work than just looking up numbers, but it gives you a definitive (not hypothetical) answer.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry, sorta new, still feeling my way around. Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=RockyMtnMT;335455]Alot of the manufactures of dedicated hunting bullets publish minimum velocities. 1800fps is a pretty good bottom end speed to use for dedicated hunting bullets. Some are less some are more. you could also contact the manufacture if they don't publish #'s.

Steve

+1

I use this velocity for all bullets and it seems to work, but if I must make a longer shot I
will change my point of aim to clip or hit a bone or tough spot to help expansion. Or a
really close shot I will try to hit only soft tissue to minimise meat damage.

Knowing your bullet performance under all conditions is very important for a successful
out come.

J E CUSTOM