Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Looking to upgrade my balance, suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Looking to upgrade my balance, suggestions?

I'm way over my head here, but my RCBS 1010 (maybe 30 yrs old), recently started giving different readings on the same pan of powder.

At first, I just thought that the different levels of powder I was seeing in the case necks was the normal variation in height caused by the pouring or dumping. But I started getting unexplained flyers and odd velocity spreads. When I finally checked it with different test weights, it would sometimes vary almost a grain up or down for no obvious reason. I pulled bullets and dumped some of my loaded rounds in the 50 gr range and found them to vary also.

After thoroughly cleaning the agate bearings and steel knife edges it was still inconsistent. Theorizing that it might be possible to retain a very minute amount of residual magnetism, particularly if the copper plate was hard drawn, I removed and annealed it. Then cleaned the fire scale off, reinstalled it and trimmed the beam back to neutral. It is working like a charm now, deflecting slightly on 1/10 gr again and no variation weighing the same pan of powder or the same test weight repeatedly. I also have a Lyman and an O'haus scale that I bought subsequently to verify this one.

This is well beyond my knowledge, but I theorize that it might have developed a small amount of residual magnetism from the years that it stayed assembled (with the plate between the magnets) in a cabinet. Now I use it and then disassemble it before I put it away.

I believe Scott Parker may have some experience with this phenomenon.

Good shooting, Tom
Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Unread 06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Looking to upgrade my balance, suggestions?

"Looks like you were right after all. Point to you z"

Milanuk, there is no joy in the "win", I simply wanted to make sure any who might be reading us didn't get too confused. You sure challanged me to rethink the whole thing!

Tom, there can be no "residual magnatism" in a chunk of copper. (Or aluminum, etc.) Whatever occured in the correction of your scale, it wasn't that.

Last edited by boomtube; 06-15-2009 at 12:27 PM.