Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Looking to upgrade my balance, suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

Looking to upgrade my balance, suggestions?

I have them cheapy RCBS that comes in that rockchuck kit. I've been using it for 8-9 years. Last night, I weighed what I thought was a 75.7 gr charge ten times and got anywhere from 75.1 - 75.8 grains. I am thinking it's time to upgrade. Any suggestions on a non-digital balance?

Thanks.

Unread 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking to upgrade my balance, suggestions?

Not sure which beam scale you have,(I know they made a cheep one at one time but
RCBS makes a good balance beam scale and it is a copy of the ohaus 1010 if you can find one.

I have the original 1010 and it is dead nuts on.

I also use a digital because its fast , and occasionally check it with the 1010 for accuracy.

J E CUSTOM
Unread 06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

The driving force for a balance beam is gravity and it doesn't vary. Inconsistancy comes from friction at the pivot pivots, nothing else.

Clean the V bearings, alcohol and a toothpick work well. Clean the knife edges with a lighly oiled Que-tip and check the sharp edges for nicks or burrs which can occur from rough handling. Replace the bean and center the knife bar in the V bearings, don't allow the pivot ends to rub against the bearing block holders.
Unread 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
The driving force for a balance beam is gravity and it doesn't vary. Inconsistancy comes from friction at the pivot pivots, nothing else.

Clean the V bearings, alcohol and a toothpick work well. Clean the knife edges with a lighly oiled Que-tip and check the sharp edges for nicks or burrs which can occur from rough handling. Replace the bean and center the knife bar in the V bearings, don't allow the pivot ends to rub against the bearing block holders.
Thanks, Boom, for the tips. I have the 'cheap' 5-0-5 balance that came with the Rockchucker kit as well and thought I had some problems with it until I purchased calibration weights. It was right on after a little adjustment. I also was looking at replacing it some time ago until I realized how much it cost by itself! More than most other balances by other reputable manufactures. Mine packs away back in the box when i'm done, every moving part separated by soft cloth to 'treat it right'.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Unread 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

I found out by accident that sometimes there is more at work than just gravity with a balance beam scale. Blowing or moving air of any kind can throw off an accurate measurement. Down in AZ, we use ceiling fans to help move air in the summer months. If the fan is anywhere above you, or if your reloading bench sits near a cooling or heating register, the directed air flow can throw off the measurement. Probably not your problem, but something to watch for in the future.
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
I found out by accident that sometimes there is more at work than just gravity with a balance beam scale. Blowing or moving air of any kind can throw off an accurate measurement. Down in AZ, we use ceiling fans to help move air in the summer months. If the fan is anywhere above you, or if your reloading bench sits near a cooling or heating register, the directed air flow can throw off the measurement. Probably not your problem, but something to watch for in the future.
There is one more thing to look at.

Some beam scales use a magnetic dampening system and the plate between the two
magnets is made of copper alloy.and may become magnetized (You heard right) I had always
though that copper could not be magnetic.

Anyway if you test it and it is then anneal it and this corrects it.

Spectweldtom had this occur and fixed it. Maybe he will chime in on how to test and fix.

J E CUSTOM
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on the 1010. Mine is 40 years old and accurate as ever.

Watch ebay for a used RCBS 1010.

Also do a search on 6mmbr.com under the articles section or email the moderator for an article on balance beam tuning. they did an article about a guy who for $20 works over balance beam scales to make them faster and dead nuts on.

BH