Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

looking to start reloading, how is the rcbs reloading starters kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

looking to start reloading, how is the rcbs reloading starters kit

its easy for me to get and seems pretty good for a starter kit how think you?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: looking to start reloading, how is the rcbs reloading starters kit

Kits are kits and that one's as good as any. No "kit" is fully complete.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

I just helped a friend who is on a budget find a "get started" kit. It was a Lyman. The only reason he went with Lyman was that it had everything needed to "get started" but a dial caliper. The other kits did not include a case trimmer but this one does. There is nothing wrong with RCBS by the way. This particular kit just fit his needs/budget. If you search you may find it cheaper. Also if you get it with the balance beam scale it's about $60 less. All in all, this kit is a pretty good value when compared to the others for what you get vs. the dead presidents.

MidwayUSA - Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Deluxe Expert Kit 110 Volt

Last edited by jmason; 05-14-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

It is the best value in kits. With that said, the only piece of choice in the kit is the scale. And, with that said, the ChargeMaster Combo would replace the scale and powder measure if an accurate measure is desired. There are better presses and priming tools available. The assortment of accessories is of generic quality, and much better alternates are available. The kit doesn't include a case trimmer, as has been pointed out. The Wilson trimmer is the best hand-crank tool on the market; it's included in no one's kit.

My suggestion is to learn enough about reloading to determine your own anticipated set of needs. Then research the equipment alternatives and methods available to you. You will then buy equipment to satisfy your process rather than adapting process to a set of equipment. Suggested brands to investigate: Redding and Forster. Sinclair has a nice selection of accessories and gauges.

Avoid acquiring powder equipment until you have experience with powders, unless you just jump in with the ChargeMaster Combo. I'm still using a beam scale with Lee dippers and a Redding trickler; perfect every time.

If you get the kit, you'll have a very good beam scale, a loosely-fitted press, a powder measure of limited capability, a decent hand-held priming tool, and the afore-mentioned assortment of so-so accessories. It's not hard to do better. But, it is a good buy in what you get for the money.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

I believe Nathank is a student on a budget. Otherwise, I agree with you on the components and brands you mentioned. There's no doubt if he sticks with it he'll be upgrading later. I've just about completely replaced everything I started with. When I started I had no idea I'd get this involved. Everybody has to start somewhere. BTW where were you when I started? You could have saved me some $$.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

I started in Jan reloading....well, I started getting the items. I went with the RCBS Master kit, then got RCBS dies, forster original trimmer, forster digital caliper. I built a nice bench to do it all on...and then I couldn't find the components to start! So it all is still nice and shiny new....just waiting on the components lol Unfortunately, there is no big hunting store around here that sells reloading stuff. Seems like they are the first ones to get powder/bullets in over the small gun shops like we have here. If you live near a cabelas/sportsmans/bass pro you will probably have better luck than I have.

P.S. If this is the same thing that happens with you, be prepared that every time your wife passes it she'll make a comment on how its money well spent just sitting there Don't say I didn't warn you lol
Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Just started reloading myself just a few ago ... went with Lyman Expert Deluxe kit ($299 @ BassPro) and built a portable bench to go along with it. Very pleased thus ... see previous post below.

"Newbie's" reloading bench is ...

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 05-14-2009 at 10:36 PM.