Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Looking to Start Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Looking to Start Reloading

I would like to get into reloading, mainly a 300 weatherby because I have about 50 cases and the factory ammunition is outrageous. I'd also be reloading some 22-250. What is a good starter reloading set-up?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Looking to Start Reloading

Brand doesn't really matter. All the companies make great equipment. Just don't start out with the low end gear and have to upgrade 2 - 3 times. Buy once, cry once.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

hornady lockn load classic kit plus a few extra bushings is a good one
also the rock chucker supreme
and the lyman expert kit
any of these 3 will out live you all you will need is an extra manual ( you should always cross reference all loads ).
And if the kit that you choose to go with doesn't have a trimmer, you will need one.
You will also need a bullet puller at some time, get a press mounted one the hammer types deform bullets.
As for your dies in order of my choice
Lee 3 die set fl, collet & seat
Hornady
RCBS
Old 11-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rd0 View Post
hornady lockn load classic kit plus a few extra bushings is a good one
also the rock chucker supreme
and the lyman expert kit
any of these 3 will out live you all you will need is an extra manual ( you should always cross reference all loads ).
And if the kit that you choose to go with doesn't have a trimmer, you will need one.
You will also need a bullet puller at some time, get a press mounted one the hammer types deform bullets.
As for your dies in order of my choice
Lee 3 die set fl, collet & seat
Hornady
RCBS
That all sounds good except the bullet puller part.

You need to get a GRIP-N-PULL and forget all the other pullers. RCBS Rock chucker kit will do you just fine. Good luck.

Brandon

Grip-n-Pull The World's Best Bullet Puller
Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

I would not include Hornady in the list of quality equipment. Well advertised but not well finished imo. I've owned a half dozen of their dies and a scale and Camlok trimmer ( a real pos design and poorly finished ). All suffered in comparison to other brands . Inexpensive Lee has been as good as any of the others and I use their collet neck die for most of my sizing work along with Forster bullet seaters. Any of the heavy cast iron presses will do the job but I really like my Forster co-ax press. Any trimmer that uses a shellholder and presses the case forward to grip it is inherently inaccurate. You are sizing from the front of the rim and your neck will vary the amount of the rim variation , often 3 to 5 thousandths. That effects neck tension and ultimate long range accuracy. I use a wilson trimmer these days and I'm very pleased. I find it a lot of fun and relaxing.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

t_bball89

Everybody has their favorites. As to trimmers I have a Forester but I now buy a Lee Case length Guide and Shellholder set up for each caliber and usually a Cutter and Lock Stud for each. These fit in the Die Box w/ the dies and are set up to trim the cases without having to adjust anything. It keeps it simple so I am less likely to put off the trimming.
Since the case neck slides over the Case length gauge it acts as a mandrel to cut the neck perfectly square.

My son has the cast iron Lee Classic Press and it is stout and well made. I recommend it without reservation. I understand the Rock Chucker is made in China. Not happy with that, hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Thank you for all the information! It has been great help! Never would have been able to find all this information on my own.