Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Looking for press advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM

Looking for press advise

Just getting into reloading and deciding on my first press.
I am doing long range hunting and tired of paying someone else 80.00 a box and not getting good consistency. I will be mainly loading 300wsm and want to buy the best press now rather than end up upgrading in years to come. I think I have it narrowed down to a rock chucker IV or the Forester co ax. I also will need dies.
Oh and I am old enough to know that it usually pays in the long run to spend more for the best quality!! Please help me out. Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: Looking for press advise

I use the rockchucker and a dillon 550, They both work great but if I was starting from scratch I would get the co-ax. My interest in reloading started out with hand gun and machine gun volume and for that the dillion wins but for precision ammo the co-ax is suppose to be the best. My hand me down rockchucker is no slouch and is very capable, if your on a slim budget do not hesitate to pick one up. My $0.02
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

P.S. Welcome aboard.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member

There is no "best" of anything.

Anything but Lee will do you just fine. New or used, it doesn't matter.

Most of the nine presses on my bench I bought used. Some are older than me, but still make ammo as accurate as anything bought new today.

If you are only loading for the cartridge you named, the Co-Ax has too long of a stroke and you will eventually get frustrated by it.

If you want to look elsewhere, checkout the CH 444 and the Ponsness-Warren Metallic 2. Both will easily handle that cartridge and is faster than the two you named.

"An armed society is a polite society"--Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!"--Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

My first, and current press is a Rockchucker, and I really like it, it works well for the rounds I load, mainly .308 WIN and .223
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

You can't go wrong with the Forester Co-ax.

I have to disagree with respect to the stroke being too long.

I've used a few other presses and the co-ax is my favorite for everything from 6br to 338L.

If loading for AR's, pistol, etc... look at Dillon or others.

-- richard
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkel View Post
Just getting into reloading and deciding on my first press.
I am doing long range hunting and tired of paying someone else 80.00 a box and not getting good consistency. I will be mainly loading 300wsm and want to buy the best press now rather than end up upgrading in years to come. I think I have it narrowed down to a rock chucker IV or the Forester co ax. I also will need dies.
Oh and I am old enough to know that it usually pays in the long run to spend more for the best quality!! Please help me out. Thanks
See my post a few down about Rockchuckers from Sinclair for $139.95