Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Looking to get started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Looking to get started

I have used the Lee auto prime since they first came out and until last year when I bought a rcbs version. Long story short, I gave the rcbs away. way bulkier awkward to work compared to the Lee. I like rcbs stuff but not their hand primer tool
Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Silver Member

It's funny I guess it's all what you are used to. Either way you will be successful. You definitely will want a powder dropper. I like my Lyman 55. I am afraid without a manual powder measurer you might run yourself insane. I still weigh every charge during load development. The repeatability of the Lyman is awful nice. If you are going to get all the equipment you listed, go ahead and get a powder dropper as well. You will be glad that you did.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Bronze Member

IMHO you're gonna want the powder measure, or you're going to spend half your time dumping loads back in the powder can. I usually throw a half a grain under what I'm shooting for then trickle up to the exact weight.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 AM

I would get exactly whay you posted plus exactly what boomtube posted. If I had known about this website before I bought my kit it would have been exactly what you have listed. As for help, read all you can and all you want on the reloading forum, pick out who your gut tells you that knows what they are talking about and send them a pm to see if they will help you along with your questions. Thats what I did and it has been by far my greatest help. Ask as many questions as you want and put the answers to practice.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

"I have one question about the power measure... it it really needed if you weigh each round i was just planning on using some sort of cooking measuring scoop to pour in the scale pan..... "

There is no magic in how we get the bulk of our charges ready to trickle up. Many of us used homemade dippers made of brass cases cut to size with wire handles soldered on for a long time before Lee came out with their plastic dipper kit. Thing is, an adjustable powder measure simply makes it easier/faster by a few seconds per charge when changing powders or charge levels.

If you want to hold costs down at this point consider getting one of Lee's "Perfect" powder measures. They're inexpensive, all plastic and require some adjustment in assembly but overall they really work well after a bit of break in. In fact, they're perhaps the most consistant available at any price for dispensing the coarse tubular powders so common for rifle cartridges. (And they ARE measures, not powder "dumps" or "throwers" and you will never find one so listed in any catalog.)
Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

"And they ARE measures, not powder "dumps" or "throwers" and you will never find one so listed in any catalog."

That all depends on the consistancy of operation doesn't it? It also depends on what level of accuray each of is happy with. I'm either on the line or I ain't, sometimes that extra kernal falls and thows you over the line. I "dump" it back and "throw" another one.

Like you say there ain't no magic in how we get our bulk charge....we can spend our time making dippers for all our different powders or we can spend our time loading and shooting, I choose the latter.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM

ok well now another question i have been comparing prices of the dropper, beam scale and trickler and its not much less than the hornady lock and load electric dispenser so my question is if i go with the hornady do i still need to get a beam scale if not then I think that would be my best bet what yall think