Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Looking for a concentricity gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for a concentricity gauge

This one is the Gold Standard from my use. Will allow you to correct as well.

Concentricity Gauge
Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

Cool, I had the web address saved for that one and was wondering if it woulld come up in the discussion. I do like the idea of fixing the the round that are off.

Phil
Old 01-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

I like the option of straightening them instead of pulling bullets and trying to straighten out the case. I realize that the loading process will need to be fixed (do it right the first time), but this is a nice option to have. The price isn't that bad for all that it offers.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys and the patients as well. I see there are quiet a few other threds on the subject that I have been going through. Thanks again!
Phil
Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

I'm also looking for a concentricty gauge. I was looking at the Forster gauge as well as Sinclair. Forster's about $30 less than Sinclair. Anyone have any experience using the Forster?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

What you are really doing with a run-out gauge is checking the capability of your reloading process: are the tools and technique adequate? If you are not shooting match, simply rolling your loaded rounds across a flat surface (glass) will suffice. Any wobble will tell if your rounds are over 0.002". If you can't see wobble, you're good to go. Rolling your sized brass will tell you if the necks are true.

The best tool for checking case-neck variation is a ball mic; cheap ones are available and will do fine for your purpose.

If you have to have a run-out gauge, the Sinclair "spinner thingy" is the most popular and easiest to use. Redding has a case neck gauge that uses a dial indicator (as does the Sinclair "spinner"). Recognize that if you get both, you need only one dial indicator. The case neck gauge is faster than the micrometer, but less accurate. If you're sorting all of your brass, it's convenient.

In the end, you're checking to see how good your brass (or sizing die) is and if your seating die is doing its job properly. To what extent is it necessary to go to in order to make these determinations? And since you're not turning case necks, all the case neck gauge (or ball micrometer) will tell you is if the brass you bought is up to snuff.

Haven't heard much good about either the RCBS or Forster run-out gauges. The NECO is expensive and has involved set-up, but is excellent otherwise.

Last edited by Winchester 69; 01-09-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

I use the RCBS model. It meets my needs, and I'm pretty finicky. From your initial description of what you're looking for, I believe the RCBS model would be completely satisfactory.