Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Looking at a 300weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Silver Member
Re: Looking at a 300weatherby

No, to dang loud.

Unread 11-04-2006, 04:56 PM

I had a Weatherby since 1976. Great cartridge. It is the rfle I shoot the most. I don't know about 180 grains bullets, but I get just around 3000 fps with 200 grain Sierra or Barnes TSX with IMR 7828 or H1000. Comments from people who shot is: "It does not kick that much"

If you building one up, recommend 28 inch barrel
Unread 11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

All this talk of loud brakes. When shooting my Weatherby's that have factory brakes or my buddies 300 RUM Sendero with a Holland brake on it, I can't tell any difference when shooting them as far as noise or concusion. I never shoot without earplugs. Now get off to one side even a little and I can tell a big difference in the sound level with a brake. That's why when they shoot I stay more behind them than beside them. This is even when I shoot a 50BMG with a rearward angled tank looking brake that will launch 1/2 inch rocks from the ground when fired from a bench. Right behind it is no worse than without it. They are anoying but I put it right up there with not standing downwind of a smoker. I just deal with it.

I wasted 20 years believing this and other rumors. I have found out that I can see a difference in high end optics, a 1 pound trigger works fine on a hunting rifle, Free-bored Weatherby's will run groups, and muzzle brakes don't bother me when I shoot. So now I'm in the process of buying high end optics, Weatherby's and putting muzzle brakes on all my rifles; I already fixed all my triggers.

Sorry abount the rant. I just had that all pent up and had to let it out somewere.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.