Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Long Distance Load Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Distance Load Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockZ View Post
This is how I fine tune my loads at distance.
Ladder testing at 1k- Detailed article and video

It is very simple and effective.
It makes finding a good load very easy and cuts down on the amount of rounds needed to find a good load.
Yes, a very informative article on ladder testing, thanks! In fact I never knew "ladder" was because 1 target is used and "ladder" is a reference to climbing impact points. I always thought the word "ladder" just referred to incremental increases in powder charges.

Many of us are using methods very close to this but with several targtets vs. 1 target. The big thing that the ladder test and the OCW test methodology point out is not to look only for the tightest group, but for a range of "adjacent" loads that share the same impact points. Horizontal grouping seems to be the other main thing they say to look for, saying that vertical dispersion is a negative and horizontal dispersion is usually due to wind. I'm not sure I agree with a statement that says horizontal dispersion is generally due to wind, but I get that vertical can be due to charge/case/primer variances as well as barrel harmonics. Lastly, testing at intended ranges is great if you have the range availability and ambient conditions cooperate, but depending on where you shoot, either of those may not be readily available (long range paper targets & lack of wind).

I HAVE noticed that when I find an accurate load, I can usually vary the charge a +/- .3gr with little change in accuracy and POI as they describe is the intended the result of their methodology. So I guess that means I've been finding the right nodes despite not following the proceedures described in the ladder article.

I In any case, the proof is in the pudding.