Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Loads safe to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Loads safe to shoot?

Especially Norma brass. Something don't add up.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Well I got my redding uniformer and did the rest of the Norma brass. I was amazed at how much material had to be removed. And yes I'm keeping the cutter straight. I don't have a depth mic to measure but I went back to look at the problem cases and it was only a couple out of 60 that weren't cut deep enough. You can barely feel a bump when you run your finger over it. From a side view they can barely be seen. So should be good to fire and then just recut all those primer pockets? Also how long does it normally take to cut a primer pocket uniform with a drill at low power? I have always used cheaper brass and it went pretty quick. This is my first time with premium brass and it takes about a full minute for the cutter to bottom out with medium pressure. How much pressure should be used?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

If you have a decent set of calipers you can use the rear as a depth gauge. The slide will protrude when opened. I would have checked this when I first encountered the amount of material that had to be removed. Even mediocre brass should not have to have much removed. the procedure is to uniform them, not make the final cut. That should have been done already.
Anyway, they are good to go.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.