Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

loading tuips for TSX bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: loading tuips for TSX bullets

My dad shot a forked horn muley buck at around 100 yards with the 165g XLC out of his 300 win. We found the bullet on the offside hide, it lost 3 of the 4 petals and didn't exit, at 100 yards!? I know the TSX's are different then XLC"s but there still a BARNES X bullet of the sort. I dont know, I"ve actually pondered the idea of trying the TSX's, but there so damn expensive, "just to try." I have read a lot of better things on the TSX's to where there more consistent, but I still dont know about them. I worked up a load with IMR-4831 and the 100g xlc out of my first 25-06 I owned. It shot right around .45" at 100 yards. Went home that night, loaded the rest up exactly how they were before, went out and sighted them in and they were once again patterning at 100 yards instead of grouping. I had it after that point. Just couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. I did however bust a muley buck with that 100g xlc about 150 yarsd out. Bullet impacted front shoulder, hit the offside shoulder, and exited leaving the biggest hole in any deer I've shot to date. I'll try to dig around for the pic if anyone wants to see it. I'll also try to dig around and find that pic of the 165g xlc that was recovered with only 1 petal.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Ackley,
yes, I went smack center, 0.050" off the lands.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

We shoot the 140g XXX in our 7 Mags. Guns will vary in what they like from .030-.050 off the lands. You really have to have a good cleaning regiment when shooting solid copper bullets, but I do feel as if the XXX bullets foul much less than the regular Barnes X bullets. We get great accuracy out of the bullets and they tear the heck out of deer. When impact velocity is over 3100 fps, we have found the petals in the deer. The deer usually have massive damage on the surface and complete pass throughs on the cores. We have intentionally shot through brush to see how they deflect (we have a limit of 12 deer per year), and the Barnes bullets deflect less than anything we have ever tried. The XXX bullet has about 1/2 the copper of a Swift bullet for sure.

You only listed one powder charge that you had tried and were playing with seating depth. If it were me, I would start off by seating the bullet .050 off the lands and play with the powder charge to see what worked the best. The rifle many not even like that brand of powder. Once you have the best powder charge, then play with seating depth.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

To me the TSX & XLC is the diff. of daylight & dark. I had given up on X bullets & XLC, but decided to try the TSX &
be satisfied that I tried them all & be done with Barnes forever. Well, the TSX gave me extreme accuracy & great terminal effect. As far as I am concerned, the old X & XLC
performance have NOTHING to do with the TSX except they are made by the same company, yea the Corvair & the Z71 are both Chevys too.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Exactly Right! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Re: loading tips for TSX bullets

I'm new to the forum but have been working up a load for the 140 TSX in 7mm Rem Mag. I agree with the suggestion to try different powders at a set seating depth (I chose 0.050") to find the powder and charge weight that gives the best overall groups. Only after I had that determined would I start playing with seating depth. In my case 73.1 gr of H-1000 produces 3115 fps and 0.75" 5 shot groups at 100 yards, seated 0.050" off lands in my 7 RM A-Bolt. I haven't played with seating depth yet. Will do that this weekend. Also gonna start load development for 160 AccuBonds. Good luck
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Re: loading tips for TSX bullets

I can only speak about TSX preformance on game, and only on African plains game. Kudu 125 yards 1 shot bullet recovered looked like the advertisement. 2 Impala 1 shot each pass through 1@ 170 yards 1@ 70 yards. Wlidebeest 75-80 yards 1 shot pass through ( PH was very suprised and impressed by pass through )Zebra 90 yards 2 shots one pass through and a second shot at 65 yards from behind, back legs down up on front through spine into lung heart part of chest bullet not recovered. rifle model 70 26" barrel 1-10 twist 30-06 ammo Federal factory loads 180 Gr. shoot just under ( sometimes over [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])MOA out to 200 yards. I am trying to say I think it is a GREAT game bullet.