Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

loading for the temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

loading for the temperature

If you find a load your gun shoots well, and it's warmer than it will be in hunting season would you use a powder charge that's at the high end of the node in anticiption of cooler temps?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: loading for the temperature

Depending on the rifle and powder I do it all of the time BUT the chrono is the way you can tell what is really going on. There is no free lunch so to speak. Never have I had a load that shot at a higher velocity on a colder day.

A possible issue is the 1st shot thru a clean tube--higher pressure possibly and with factory tubes most likely a different POI. Just something to keep in mind..
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

RL-22 in 270 Win. - 130 FPS velocity reduction from 70* summer temp to teens in winter.

With powders such as IMR 7828ssc I load to max in less than 70* temps and don't worry about it except in my long range guns where I am a bit more particular.

When I chrono a given load @ lower temperatures it is always lower than in warmer temps. If it is sufficiently low I enter the lower velocity into the drop chart program and make a new drop chart. I'm not one to have a cold weather load and a warm weather load. I'd invariably get'em mixed up sooner or later.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Bronze Member

Ditto.

Another thought... Reduced velocity at lower temperatures can change more than just trajectory. Barrel harmonics can affect group size and POI. jmason's idea of using a charge that's at the high end of the node sounds like a reasonable approach, but the only way to tell for sure is to test at the anticipated lower temperatures.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa45 View Post
Ditto.

Another thought... Reduced velocity at lower temperatures can change more than just trajectory. Barrel harmonics can affect group size and POI. jmason's idea of using a charge that's at the high end of the node sounds like a reasonable approach, but the only way to tell for sure is to test at the anticipated lower temperatures.

Thanks guys. I will test it in colder weather for sure. I was just looking for validation of my thought.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
If you find a load your gun shoots well, and it's warmer than it will be in hunting season would you use a powder charge that's at the high end of the node in anticiption of cooler temps?

Thats exactly what I do. I figure the lower temps will still keep it in the node.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

I figure that if group size doesn't change with large drops in temperature with 200 yd point of impact being the only change, a tweak up in zero setting being necessary, then the drop chart change is considered based on a downrange point of impact check along with the chrono check.

There was a thread a while ago, regarding "how wide is your node". That consideration is very important. Node width seems begs for a bit more consideration of the OCW method of load development along with the Ladder method.