Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Loading rifle with dillon progressive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Loading rifle with dillon progressive

Does anyone here load their rifle loads using a dillon progressive 500b loader???? I am interested in doing so and would like helpful suggestions in the setup and any suggestions in using a body die or neck sizing die????

I am considering using a powder dispenser which is helpful in load development.

share your experiences.

Thanks
odavid
Focus your attention on the obstacles you have over came in your life. The question is did you overcome these obstacles all by yourself??? If you think you did (“self made man”) you are wrong and your obstacles will grow stronger and will be repeatedly repeated until you realize just how truly feeble you really are. Give credit to your Creator and ask for his guidance in overcoming future obstacles. .-RD ORR
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Loading rifle with dillon progressive

i use one for all my "high volume" cal's. (.223/22-250/220 swift) and use DILLON carbide dies if available . I have used it up to 30-06, but the larger (longer) the cae to more chances you have of powder spills. The dillon powder disp. is very accurate, especially with ball/flake/short cut powders. I resisted a progressive until i realized most of of the shooters on the line in high power events used it. Glad i bought one years ago, and have about 8-9 complete tool heads (with dies/powder measure) complete, so change over is a matter of minutes. Also use the hell out of it for handgun loading.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for your experience. I understand a very accurate shooter named tubbs uses a similiar setup as I am planning on using. I am sure others have used the progressive dillon also, I look forward to their suggestions. Some I know use two separate tool heads that they alternate between 1) for sizing and depriming case prep and 2) for actual loading. Also some use different tool heads for specific bullet combinations.

Lets hear from others
thanks odavid
Focus your attention on the obstacles you have over came in your life. The question is did you overcome these obstacles all by yourself??? If you think you did (“self made man”) you are wrong and your obstacles will grow stronger and will be repeatedly repeated until you realize just how truly feeble you really are. Give credit to your Creator and ask for his guidance in overcoming future obstacles. .-RD ORR
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

noone else has a comment??????
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

I use mine to load .308 after having FL resized them elsewhere. I'll also use it to load 30/06 when I have time, also FL resizing them elsewhere. Since these rounds will be used in gas guns, I can't neck-size them. I use a Hornady bullet seating die as the sleeve lets me position the bullet w/o my fingers getting in the way.

I use a Quick-Measure powder measure for rifle as it handles stick powders well.

"An armed society is a polite society"--Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!"--Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

ive loaded 10s of thousands of rifle rounds on dillon 550s, 650s and hornady lnl presses. I do all my 223, 762x39 and 50 beowolf on them. Ammo for my bolt guns is usually still done on a single stage press though. I rarely load more the 50 rounds at a time for the bolt guns so it just isnt nessisary.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Bronze Member

load my 308's after FL sizing in my 550, but mounted a RCBS Uniflow for better control of the stick powder - besides I'm too cheap to buy the larger rilfle power slide.

If you don't use a carbide die, there's a small chance you might contaminate powder charge with sizing lube. I don't use the dry spray, so don't take the chance. Have loaded several thousand .223's with carbide dies and flake powder, and it works very well.