Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Loading pressures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

What about loading to velocity goal

I don't know the answer here. But what about loading to a velocity goal. True you have to know a reasonable and safe velocity to use this approch. But I've gotten the idea that this might be useful. It is the approach that GS Custom uses for their bullets. Kinda seems to me it would only work for known powder/cartridge/barrel length combinations.

I've also gotten the impression that many on this forum consider a load safe if the case life is acceptable and primer pockets stay tight.

Would Quickload be any help here?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

A chronograph can tell you a lot about your pressure IMO, but there isnt any way I am going to ignore any of the traditional pressure signs trying to reach a published safe velocity. I am not saying that you are advocating that.

I think the safest approach would be a dual approach with the use of a chronograph along with watching for traditional pressure signs. I do not care if it is like reading tea leaves or not.

I have seen a couple of instances where I was undoubtedly getting very high pressure but could see no signs on the case. A chrono would have helped me realize I was above max. I have also seen instances where I was a good bit below advertised velocities and readily saw pressure signs.

Until pressure testing equipment becomes readily available and cheap I guess we are just going to have to rely on whatever means we have to discern dangerous pressure, including Quickload which I find invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminator 911 View Post
I don't know the answer here. But what about loading to a velocity goal. True you have to know a reasonable and safe velocity to use this approch. But I've gotten the idea that this might be useful. It is the approach that GS Custom uses for their bullets. Kinda seems to me it would only work for known powder/cartridge/barrel length combinations.

I've also gotten the impression that many on this forum consider a load safe if the case life is acceptable and primer pockets stay tight.

Would Quickload be any help here?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Not all of us have access to a ballistics lab so we have to depend on accepted pressure signs, reloading manuals, chronographs results and years of experience.

But if anything is a danger to someone who handloads, it is "pet loads". I hate that term. You see shooters on this forum, and others, asking for a pet load for a certain caliber. Making a suggestion on the components that one uses and has good luck with is one thing, but if posters care about their fellow shooters they should refrain from indicating the load charge. There are handloaders who will blindly follow that recipe exactly. Sometimes with dangerous results.
NHRA
Old 04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

I am no expert on this, but I have learned that there is more than one possible root cause for pressure signs.

A load may be completely reasonable and safe, but the headspace may be wrong. This will cause pressure signs and can be frustrating.

A load may be completely reasonable and safe in one gun with a long throat/freebore, but dangerous in another gun if it has a short throat/freebore and the bullet gets jammed way into the lands.

Also, in some cartridges, not enough powder is also dangerous.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post
Also, in some cartridges, not enough powder is also dangerous.
I have heard this and understand it to be true but can you give any info on this. I am thinking about treading on new ground with a subsonic load in 30/221 and am trying to find out everything I can before I risk my gun.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

I load every cartridge to the max, but

Because I'm the one who is holding the rifle I back off one grain everytime an excesive pressure signs appear. I rather have all my fingers, then a 100fps more velocity.

Peter
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Re: Loading pressures

Surely any excess pressure sign is a advance warning of impending doom and should be investigated.
An increase in case size just ahead of the crouve or rim is an indication of excess pressure or an oversized chamber.
An increase in case length every shot could be an over pressure load or a badly lubed or over size expander ball draging the neck out.
A sticky bolt that is perfect with other loads and factory loads ( usualy well under max ) is a sure indication of an overload.
A pierced primer could be a bad fireing pin or the wrong primer for that load but usualy a over hot load.

Lots of re-loaders think that once a load has been formulated with a batch/lot of powder that every tin or bottle of that same powder will be identical!!!
Dont be stupid evbery batch of powder could give higher or lower pressures than the one you have just finished.
I have bought three batches/lots of Viht N 120 to fuel my 17A/H And i run it between 3,550ft/sec and 3,650ft/sec because thats my accuracy node.
THE DIFFERENCE IN THREE BATCHES TO GET TO THAT VELOCITY WAS 0.6GR.
And that is a hell of a lot in 17A/H cases.

Work up a load from 10% less than the good one you have been loading with every componant change espessualy the different batch/lot of powder.
Dont ever try a load that someone has loaded for their gun even if the calibre is identical

Big Wally