Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Loading pressures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Loading pressures

I have been reloading for some years now and have pretty much always followed maximum recommended loads. In looking back through various loading manuals, they seem to have started going more milder in the max loads. What are some obvious signs of over pressure that appear on cases.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

On the cases:
1. overly flattened or loose primers
2. soot around the primer (like it is leaking)
3. bolt face embossed, showing your extraction groove

Also watch for a hard to open or a sticky bolt

Good luck and be careful
Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

High pressure signs........

The indications mentioned by old_heli_logger are what I might expect to see with what I would call "very high" pressures.

Other signs will be case expansion in front of the extractor groove (most folks don't have the right tools to measure this), unusual case length growth; these signs compared to factory loads fired in the same gun.

Another earlier sign would be primer pockets getting loose after only 3 or 4 loads. Some shooters/reloaders are willing to accept early loose primer pockets, and the increased barrel wear that goes with it, for a bit more velocity.............

I think some of my loading manuals have pics and text in the front of the book that show and describe some examples of "stressed" cases.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Bronze Member

This is a quote from the Administartor of another handloading forum. Any thoughts?

"Well again sadly if you take all you know of pressure signs and all the rest of the reloaders of the world combined know about pressure signs and put it all in one bucket you won't have enough knowledge to buy a cup of coffee.

Those old wives tales of what to look for are a load of malarky and have been stated to be such these days by just about every known magazine writer in the business. I think they are finally coming around to the reality that if they keep on BS'ing folks that those signs have meaning they just might be on the losing end of a lawsuit some day.

Every test I've seen run comparing al those "pressure signs or indicators" to real world pressure data show them to be meaningless. You might see signs of high pressure even with the minimum starting charges or you might not at blue pill proof load levels. Believing you can tell what is safe in that matter is a recipe for disaster and it's time folks begun realizing it."
Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

Steve4102,

Are you saying that you think it is OK to ignore these indications of high pressure?

If not, then just what do you mean to say?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by Jim Oliver; 04-23-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
This is a quote from the Administartor of another handloading forum. Any thoughts?

"Well again sadly if you take all you know of pressure signs and all the rest of the reloaders of the world combined know about pressure signs and put it all in one bucket you won't have enough knowledge to buy a cup of coffee.

Those old wives tales of what to look for are a load of malarky and have been stated to be such these days by just about every known magazine writer in the business. I think they are finally coming around to the reality that if they keep on BS'ing folks that those signs have meaning they just might be on the losing end of a lawsuit some day.

Every test I've seen run comparing al those "pressure signs or indicators" to real world pressure data show them to be meaningless. You might see signs of high pressure even with the minimum starting charges or you might not at blue pill proof load levels. Believing you can tell what is safe in that matter is a recipe for disaster and it's time folks begun realizing it."
Thanks but I think I'll keep my little bucket that has the knowledge of those I trust plus all of my years of experience in it. And, I've also got all of the coffee I'll ever need. It's not that big a bucket but it has gotten me by for a lot of years and has been especially useful when dealing with wildcat rounds that have no factory info available anywhere as well as every factory round I've ever reloaded for.;);)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
Steve4102,

Are you saying that you think it is OK to ignore these indications of high pressure?

If not, then just what do you mean to say?

Thanks,

Jim
No I do not agree with this statement. I would like to know what you guys think about this kind of logic? I have seen some of the writings by "Gun Writers" on this subject and I find it disturbing. If these signs that we have all used for years are now nothing more than "Old Wives Tales" and "Reading Tea Leaves" then what's left? I duno.