Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

loading bergers for 300WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

loading bergers for 300WSM

i have a post going in the long range hunting section that i just posted these same pix on but i was hoping to get some others looking into this for some help. any info or input would be great

rifle is rem 700 sps 300wsm. (mostly stock besides a little lighter trigger)
let me know where you think i should go from here. the load was berger 185 vld's seated as far out as my magazine will allow, rl-17 powder.
i started at 58 gr of powder and ended at 61 (max load) there was no signs of pressure on the primers. the bolt was nice and smooth after every shot.. all these shots were with virgin brass, idk if fire formed would have tightened up the group or not

the square in the target is 1in. at 60gr it put 2 bullets right next to eachother then the 3rd shot was about 1.5 lower than the other 2.
ill be the the first to admit im not the most consistent on the bipod so i really feel someone else could have probably tightened up the group.

ive been shooting my whole life but this is the first time ive actually shot on paper and really watched my groups. so let me know what you guys with more exp get out of this thanks!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
loading bergers for 300WSM-2012-09-17_18-18-59_563.jpg   loading bergers for 300WSM-2012-09-17_18-19-16_134.jpg  

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: loading bergers for 300WSM

I see your groups are inconsistent with flyers. You might want to do some work on the rifle. Looks like the rifle might be moving in the stock. Is it bedded? How about shooting from a front rest and rear bag as a control?

Alliant's reloading page says 66 gr of RL-17 is max for a 180 so you could add more powder. Who knows it might be more consistent.

If you cannot get the VLDs to shoot well, switch to the 185 gr match hybrid target or 185 gr hybrid hunting bullet. So far all the hybrids I have tried don't care a hoot about seating depth.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

Yes, it was inconsistent and I need to improve it... I could be wrong but I don't think its the gun, I shot 3/4 inch groups with the hornady load I worked up last month..
Im wondering if its just me on the bipod or the vld not liking the seating depth.

Im mostly interested in the 60gr group, is that worth looking into again? Maybe on a led sled or something? I don't think I flinched on these groups but I very well could have.

Also I've read with the vld bullets most ppl have luck with them seated way out or way in by the ogive. Im kindof right in the middle... so should I pick the most accurate powder groups then start on seating depth
Old 09-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know how others feel about it, myself I think it's very important to know your own capabilities and to be honest with yourself about them when working up a load. Other wise how are supposed to know what your rifle is capable of? so you already know that you can fight with a bipod some that's good, you know what you need to work on. Do you take notes after each shot at the range? Call your own shots write it down before you ever look to see where the bullet went? I do this and I feel it's the only way I could ever have any idea if a load has promise or not, how much you contribute to the group size. If you know that on a really good day your good for 1/2moa, ave day maybe 1 moa, bad day 2moa or more. The hard part about it is not stroking your own ego and convincing yourself your better than you are lol.

The reason I brought it up is it's one of the very few ways that you can identify:
Quote:
Im wondering if its just me on the bipod or the vld not liking the seating depth.
Quote:
ill be the the first to admit im not the most consistent on the bipod so i really feel someone else could have probably tightened up the group.

ive been shooting my whole life but this is the first time ive actually shot on paper and really watched my groups. so let me know what you guys with more exp get out of this thanks!
Trying to help you figure out just how much you contribute, or blow it
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Bronze Member

I shoot a Rem700 sps as well, changed the stock and bedded it, mine is a .300wm but if your finding your third shot drifting on you even though you feel your putting a good shot on it I think it can be due to heating of the barrel as well. I know my .300wm doesn't like to shoot back to back rounds in hotter weather as the barrel heats up quite a bit and the bullet starts to move around. But when I let the barrel cool it goes back to shooting right where I need it. Just another thought.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 PM

The E mail I got from berger states RL17 max load 60.9gn with the hunting 185 vld. so you are under max. I just shot the first 40 rounds through my Savage 300WSM with a McGowan 24" 10 twist and the bergers were grouping great. I loaded 5 of each load from 56-61.5gn. to check accuracy and look for pressure signs. I am using H4350 at 60.5 gn. .010 off the lands at 2.220 (from memory) to the ogive using the comparator. This is about the best grouping. The max for H4350 is 62.3 gn. This is directly from berger. I am taking it out for some longer shooting this week, out to 600-800m. if this load hold together out further I will let you know.

DinoS
Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoS View Post
The E mail I got from berger states RL17 max load 60.9gn with the hunting 185 vld. so you are under max. I just shot the first 40 rounds through my Savage 300WSM with a McGowan 24" 10 twist and the bergers were grouping great. I loaded 5 of each load from 56-61.5gn. to check accuracy and look for pressure signs. I am using H4350 at 60.5 gn. .010 off the lands at 2.220 (from memory) to the ogive using the comparator. This is about the best grouping. The max for H4350 is 62.3 gn. This is directly from berger. I am taking it out for some longer shooting this week, out to 600-800m. if this load hold together out further I will let you know.

DinoS

What kind of speed and accuracy are you getting from this load? I'm going to be loading for 300 wsm soon, and I'm trying to find a good bullet to start with. I would like to try the Berger 185 hybrid's, but I cant find any in stock anywhere.