Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Loading for 45ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Loading for 45ACP

Guys, I know this isn't long range per se, but I'm having a problem and I don't frequent other "reloading" forums so I thought y'all'd help a little.

I want to use Hodgden Longshot for the 45ACP as it's a viable option according to the Hodgdon load center and because I already use it in my shotgun. I like the idea of consolidating powders. Like using Retumbo in a 243AI and a big boomer as well.

Well, their powder range is like 6.0g @ 747fps min to 6.8g @ 875fps max with a basic 230g FMJ. So, I loaded a bunch of 6.5g up to see how it shot and I only averaged 400fps over a Chrony Alpha.

I'm shooting a little Glock 36. I know I'll loose velocity due to barrel length, but that much? The brass also looks like there may be a bunch of blow-by like the brass isn't sealing properly.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do... Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Loading for 45ACP

IDK , maybe your chrony is lying to you. I have only used Unique in my Commander and XD40 , never chronoed but it shoots well.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Hard to know what is going on without actually seeing the reloading process and examining the chrony.
A few tips that come to mind and you may have already checked; (1) Check/double-check your scales and calibrate if possible. (2) Are you using Large Pistol primers? I have known guys to use Large Rifle primers by mistake. (3) Do you have your seating die set to add a small roll crimp to each bullet during the seating process? All cases should be as close to the same length as possible. (4) Chrono some factory ammo over that chrono (5) Try another (a friends may be?) chronograph. (5) Shoot/try your ammo in another .45 over your chrono.

If these tips do not reveal anything, it may just be your powder. Good luck and let me know what you find. JohnnyK.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

push your charge up a few tenths until the blowby stops. Also, as johnny said make sure you have the correct primers, some neck tension and a taper crimp in place. Personally, I'd switch to aa#5 for your 45, but that's just me. Longshot is best for hell-bent-for-leather 12 guage loads. If you want to stay with H I've had good luck with titegroup.