Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Loaded ammo bullet runout???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Loaded ammo bullet runout???

How much runout are you getting? I measure different runout on almost every load before correction. Some have zero, others a couple thousands out. I'd prefer that than measuring the EXACT same runout measurement on every load. That would drive me crazy looking for the cause. Anyone always get zero runout on every load?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Mine is not far off but my equipment is a little different from most folks. Is is possible to achieve this but it is not going to be easy or cheap.. Have to plan ahead---on factory guns this is pretty much a waste of time because the chambers are pretty sloppy. Does not really make that much difference on those.

Make the dies when reaming the chamber..
Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
How much runout are you getting?

.005"-.020" on the 7WSM w/180 gr Berger VLD

.005"-.010" on the 6BR w/105 gr Berger VLD
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Mine is not far off but my equipment is a little different from most folks. Is is possible to achieve this but it is not going to be easy or cheap.. Have to plan ahead---on factory guns this is pretty much a waste of time because the chambers are pretty sloppy. Does not really make that much difference on those.
Bottleneck cases headspacing on their shoulder align bullets in the front of the chamber equally perfect up front in all chambers. Doesn't matter how the fired cases are resized as long as there is at least .0005" clearance around the case.

Get rid of that expander, deprime cases before cleaning them then use a bushing 3 or 4 thousandths smaller than loaded round neck diameter.

Bullets don't need runout under 1% of bullet diameter.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Please post a photo of your runout gauge in operation.

I think you said that your indicator rides on the bullet "tip". I don't recall seeing one like that. It seems like a precarious way to measure with multiple angles converging rapidly.

Most runout gauge indicators ride the bullet shank just ahead of the case neck.

-- richard
Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgun View Post
.005"-.020" on the 7WSM w/180 gr Berger VLD

.005"-.010" on the 6BR w/105 gr Berger VLD
With this much runout, I suspect there is something seriously wrong with the measurement.
No way it's actually that far out..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

10 thousandths bullet runout measured at the bullet tip's quite a bit, but entirely possible if the case neck's bent out of alignment with the case body axis. I've seen that happen when expander balls have to move a lot of brass sized down quite a bit in a FL die.

Bullet runout measured right in front of the case mouth with the case pressure ring in a V block and bullet tip held in a dead center will be less than if the case pressure ring and bullet right in front of the case mouth are in V blocks and the dial indicator on the bullet about 1/10th inch back from the tip.

The best runout readings on bottleneck cases that headspace on their shoulder happens when the case pressure ring rides in a V block and the case shoulder datum point spins in a dead center with the dial indicator on the bullet about 1/10th inch back from the tip. Such cases align themselves in the chamber this way when they're fired; pressure ring's against the chamber wall opposite the extractor and the case shoulder's perfectly centered in the chamber shoulder from firing pin impact. I've oft times thought about making some drawings showing how a bottleneck case held different ways in a runout guage gives different readings for the same loaded round whose bullet axis is 1/6th degree off the case body axis.