Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Loaded ammo bullet runout???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Loaded ammo bullet runout???

I am using a RCBS Rockchuncker press w/ Redding comp seating micrometer dies (7 WSM and 6BR, loading Berger VLD's in both) and getting bad runout on the loaded ammo. I have already added VLD seater stems to both dies.

Brass on both has been neck turned and being resized with Redding neck bushing dies.

Any suggestions as to what part of my equipment could be to blame/need replacing??
Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Loaded ammo bullet runout???

That depends...

Where is your run out occuring? At the bullet OR at the cartridge neck? That is the question...
Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Where is your run out occuring? At the bullet OR at the cartridge neck? That is the question...
Hmmm, good question.

My runout tool puts the dial indicator on the bullet, so I have never been able to check the necks (say after sizing).
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

That is kinda what I was thinking too... I fell into that trap as well.

Most of the "uber" runnout I've seen can be tracked back to the case neck. I usually suggest switching to the Bushing style dies... but you already have those..

I'm guessing you have the Hornady (or similar) Bullet run out guage?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Do you have an expander ball on the depriming stem? If so I remove it when neck sizing with a bushing die. Also after neck turning you may need to fire the brass in the rifle to get things back on track.

Jeff
Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I'm guessing you have the Hornady (or similar) Bullet run out guage?

No sir. I forget who made the ones I have, but they are actually runout "correcters".

Picture an aluminum block. A loaded round goes in the top (these blocks are caliber specific and fit very snug) and is spun with your fingers. A dial indicator goes in from the left side and rides on the bullet tip. There is a threaded "screw" on the other side (with a pivot point where it touches the bullet) with a large knob.

You spin the shell by the case head & find the high and low spots. Put it on the high spot, screw in the "correcter" and actually straighten out the runout.

Pretty slick little tool, but there is no way to move where the dial indicator rides (I can't adjust it to ride & check the case neck).
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Do you have an expander ball on the depriming stem? If so I remove it when neck sizing with a bushing die.
Yes, the expander is still attached on both sizer dies. I can take one of them off & check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Also after neck turning you may need to fire the brass in the rifle to get things back on track.
The brass (for both rifles) has been fireformed since neck turning.