Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load Workup Q? on 300wm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Bronze Member

Load Workup Q? on 300wm

Greetings! New here, and first time working up a rifle load.

With all the variables, I wanted to make sure I have a decent methodology so I don't wear out the barrel by the time I find something that works. I really like Jason Baney's approach on powder, but with all the other components being a variable, it doesn't seem too feasible to run a full test for each combination.

My big question is whether to test the bullet or powder first?

I'm thinking the chances of getting a bullet that just doesn't want to behave in my barrel are slim, so pick a good bullet (s) and do a load workup on the powder? Would that be a good guess?

After the powder, then primer?

Thanks for your help!

Chris
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Load Workup Q? on 300wm

Hunting load I take it? What are you hoping to hunt? At what range?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoftagl View Post
Greetings! New here, and first time working up a rifle load.

With all the variables, I wanted to make sure I have a decent methodology so I don't wear out the barrel by the time I find something that works. I really like Jason Baney's approach on powder, but with all the other components being a variable, it doesn't seem too feasible to run a full test for each combination.

My big question is whether to test the bullet or powder first?

I'm thinking the chances of getting a bullet that just doesn't want to behave in my barrel are slim, so pick a good bullet (s) and do a load workup on the powder? Would that be a good guess?

After the powder, then primer?

Thanks for your help!

Chris

I have never heard of doing one thing until it shoots the best....then changing another of the components you just used.....then another. Try them all with a particular bullet that you want to use. If it won't shoot the way you want then start again with a different bullet. Mine way in simple terms....First look at my book for what has worked in the most different rifles.

OAL to fit in the magazine and not touch the rifling.
Two different brands of primers (I would use Mag in a WM) and probably 4-5 different powders with three different weights for each type of powder.
New brass and neck sized brass.
Then pick the best 4-5 loads...and start adjusting powder weight and seating depth.
All different powder and primer loads are chronographed.
Then just narrow it down in smaller adjustments. You should know what velocity and accuracy are best for you situation within 100 rounds pretty easily.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, Hunting load. CPX-2 and CPX-3 class up to 500 or 600. Also practice at those and longer ranges to get better.

I'd like a bullet that can do both at all ranges, but I think 2 bullets are probably the better answer. Nosler's 180 Bal Tip for deer and the 180gr Accubond for elk. Both have the same BC, so I'd like to try those. That way I only have one ballistics solution and scope-dope so I can concentrate on the fundamentals til I get a little better at this. Of course, that's assuming they both shoot the same.

Really like the sounds of the vld, so I'd like to try those as well. Just not sure those would be as well suited for close-in or shoulder-shots on the elk so I'm kinda leaning towards the two-bullet solution.

Chris
Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoftagl View Post
Yes, Hunting load. CPX-2 and CPX-3 class up to 500 or 600. Also practice at those and longer ranges to get better.

I'd like a bullet that can do both at all ranges, but I think 2 bullets are probably the better answer. Nosler's 180 Bal Tip for deer and the 180gr Accubond for elk. Both have the same BC, so I'd like to try those. That way I only have one ballistics solution and scope-dope so I can concentrate on the fundamentals til I get a little better at this. Of course, that's assuming they both shoot the same.

Really like the sounds of the vld, so I'd like to try those as well. Just not sure those would be as well suited for close-in or shoulder-shots on the elk so I'm kinda leaning towards the two-bullet solution.

Chris
Please don't take any offense and I think it is great you are asking. What is "CPX Class up to 500-600"?

Are the two ranges 500 and 600 yards?

Don't try switching bullets. You are way better off to find a quality hunting bullet with controlled expansion. Of the two you mention no question it would be the 180 Accubond because of the Elk. I have been lucky enough to have killed quite a few deer and bull elk with my 300WM using 125 - 200gr bullets from many different companies. All reloads...some worked great and some did not, but they all worked enough to kill the animal.

Based on the ranges you are going to be shooting no way would I go with a VLD. Too many good quality bullets that have fully predictable and repeatable on game performance at the distance your talking.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

IMHO, Take a long look at the 190g or 210g Berger vld hunting bullet. You should be able to come close to 3,000 fps with the 190 and low to mid 2,900 fps with the 210g. The Nosler 180 Accubond is a good choice for 180g hunting bullets. YMMV
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

I've gotten excellent results with this load in my Encore with its 28 in. barrel. Muzzle velocity is about 2,850 fps.

One problem I've found with the Accubonds is that the white plastic tips sometimes break off in the magazine. This, of course, isn't a problem with a single shot rifle but for loads you intend to shoot from a magazine fed rifle, I'd probably consider a different bullet; namely the Berger VLD.