Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load for fireforming .243 AI?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Load for fireforming .243 AI?

What technique do you recommend for fireforming 100 .243AI cases from std. .243? Should I run a light bullet out into the rifling over a medium charge of a faster rifle powder?

Any thought to pistol powder under cream of wheat?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Load for fireforming .243 AI?

Anyone have any opinions/recommendations?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Do a search on this---has been discussed too many times to count.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

this what I do with my other wildcats. I use a cheap bullet that's on the heavy side with a very good stiff load. Before firing the first round I'd check the chamber out to see just where it is. The case has to be ridgidly contained in the chamber before firing. Also recommend that the bullet be seated into the rifeling. By chance did the barrel come with a couple once fired cases? If so, then your home free! Then you can measure the datum line and compair it to the new unfired cases.

When you shoot the first couple rounds, do a check to see if the cases are strait. If not then up the charge slightly (all you need todo is roll them on something flat, and look for daylight under them). Also look at the shoulder where it joins the neck. This should show a slight radius, and be perfectly formed. If all goes well then have fun
gary
Old 11-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Trickymissfit!
The barrel does not come with fired brass. It is a Shilen.
I tried searching but only found very old posts. I suppose things havent changed much over the years, but wanted to get some up to date opinions.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

You did not look very hard----my search came up with 20 or so in the last few months! Example Fireforming Need Advice

Research then ask questions--I understand you are very new to reloading from your posts on this and the dies. Do a lot of searches so you can gain a basic understanding of the subject matter before posting.

You will get a lot more responses.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Actually I have been reloading rifle and pistol for 30 years, but have never owned a wildcat/non-factory chambering.

I would like to ask you not to assume how hard I searched or what experience I have because you cannot possibly know me from a few posts.

Perhaps instead of taking the time to criticize me, you could use that time to help me out.

Fortunately there are plenty of other folks on this site who have chosen to assist me, to include via detailed PM's.

Thanks guys I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
You did not look very hard----my search came up with 20 or so in the last few months! Example Fireforming Need Advice

Research then ask questions--I understand you are very new to reloading from your posts on this and the dies. Do a lot of searches so you can gain a basic understanding of the subject matter before posting.

You will get a lot more responses.