Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development question..what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Load development question..what next?

Man, I wish I could help, but I don't shoot any of the Hornady bullets. I do have a rather nasty load for the 210 Berger VLD's if you are interested, let me know.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallbutfierce View Post
Update: Today it was 65* F in the sun and not only did I get 2700 fps, but stiff bolt and ejector marks.
That's proof your load's too hot. Peak presures are probably well over 65,000 CUP (80,000 psi); what proof loads produce. Accuracy will be way lucky, at best.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

That's not necessarily true.....My STW loves the 180 Bergers, and my load isn't very hot at all....But the bolt was hard to open on some, and not stiff on others. Then I looked at my brass and I realized that some of them were pretty well-worn and in need of replacement. So that could also cause a stiff bolt, from my experience.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
That's not necessarily true.....My STW loves the 180 Bergers, and my load isn't very hot at all....But the bolt was hard to open on some, and not stiff on others. Then I looked at my brass and I realized that some of them were pretty well-worn and in need of replacement. So that could also cause a stiff bolt, from my experience.
Fact:

Cartridge brass starts to extrude back into bolt face cutouts at about 65,000 to 70,000 CUP.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

I was agreeing with you, but I was also saying that that isn't always necessarily the only cause of a stiff bolt or tight chamber where the brass doesn't want to release...Sometimes worn brass, or cracked brass can cause that, too. Sometimes the brass cracks from wear & tear, sometimes from overpressuring your load.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

I have aborted the 208's for now. And I have come to the conclusion that my 308 is no camaro, so to speak. Found a 175 match burner load that moves at a humble 2575fps, but makes a ragged hole and has been producing really low es. Going to try the 185 Berger next, more hunting oriented. Bart B, what powder do you recommend for the 185 vld? Saw an article where a guy swore by n150, but that's on the slow side and might give me the same trouble. Not many options right now but will jump on something if it turns up.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallbutfierce View Post
Bart B, what powder do you recommend for the 185 vld? Saw an article where a guy swore by n150, but that's on the slow side and might give me the same trouble. Not many options right now but will jump on something if it turns up.
IMR4064. No more than 42 grains. That'll produce about 2550 to 2600 fps at maximum, safe pressures with a very repeatable pressure curve in 24 to 26 inch barrels.

Depending on how one tests loads for accuracy and how they interpret the results, several "most accurate" loads will surface for the same combination of bullet, powder, primer, case and barrel as tested by several people. How are you testing your loads for accuracy?