Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development question..what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Load development question..what next?

So I have been working on a load for my 308, 208 amax, rl-17, br2 primers. I worked from 46 to 49 grains. No pressure so I loaded up 5 of each working from 49 to 49.6. The sd and es were smaller with the higher loads but groups were more spread out. I have no signs of pressure yet, but I am running out of room in the cases. Should I load up and try to find the next node? How far are nodes from each other usually? I am running 2600 fps at 49, and that is the min speed I want.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Load development question..what next?

So without any feedback I loaded up 6 of each 49.5, 49.7, 49.9, 51.1. I shot 3 shot groups this time to eliminate the chance for me to mess up the 5's. 2 groups under 1" with 49.9, sd 8, es 20, 2624 fps ave. Sounds like I have a winner. 50.1 opened up a bit, both on paper and on the chrono. Thinking anything more would start to get sticky, especially in the summer. The bullets are right on the lands now, gonna try backing out a little bit to see if that improves anything.

Last edited by smallbutfierce; 03-18-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: wrong number
Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Bronze Member

ok, if you have found the powder and amount, next play with the seating depth. I'd say start right on the lands where you are and shorten them up in .005" increments til you are 20-25 thous. off. You should see a definite answer to where the gun likes it. After that play with a couple different primers to try helping the es/sd...good luck
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Real slow powders tend to produce erratic accuracy at max loads, at least in my opinion. Their pressure curves are not all that repeatable from shot to shot even with decent velocity numbers. This is often the compromise folks have to deal with to get the extra velocity they produce.

When heavy bullets were popular in the .308 for long range competition, 48 grains of IMR4350 was "the" load with Sierra's 200-gr HPMK bullet; won a lot of matches and even set records. But muzzle velocity in a 26" barrel was about 2500 fps. With that 208 AMAX, I suggest 47.5 grains of IMR4350 but you'll probably not get over 2500 fps.

It's also best to measure accuracy by the largest groups shot with a given load. That's what you can count on all the time. Those tiny groups with a given load only happen once in a while. With the exception of Berger's VLD bullets, most shoot more accurate when gently pushed into the lands when loaded.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

I understand the compromise with this combo. I just thought I would give it a try while practicing loading techniques. I started reloading right at the beginning of the component shortage and I couldn't get a hold of the usual suspects like varget and 175 smk's. So this is what I have to work with, and I find shooting much more enjoyable now that I am working on loads and shooting skills.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds02 View Post
...next play with the seating depth. I'd say start right on the lands where you are and shorten them up in .005" increments til you are 20-25 thous. off. You should see a definite answer to where the gun likes it....
This is exactly what I would do next as well. I seat my bullets .010" off the lands until I find a powder charge that performs well. Then start fine tuning with the seat depths, it can sometimes make a big difference.

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Update: It turns out that the temp sensitivity myth isn't a myth. Last tested at 35* F, no pressure. Today it was 65* F in the sun and not only did I get 2700 fps, but stiff bolt and ejector marks. On a positive note: Every single charge I tested with my rl15 175 match load was sub moa. So I guess I don't need to worry about not being able to get anymore 208's.