Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development made easy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Load development made easy.

Hi Michael,

I noticed on your 46.0 load your Extreme Velocity Spread was 20 fps. I realize it was only 3 shots and 2 were the same velocity and one was 20 fps higher.

As awesome as that group you shot was, how will that load work at lets say 1k (Vertical Spread)? I only ask this as I have been told that one would like to have ES in the single digits if possible.

This may be a dumb question but I am trying to learn.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 07-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, I don't have the info on me at the moment for all my loads but the 85.5 grain load had an average muzzle velocity of 2943 .

bigbuck
Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRTSHTR View Post
Hi Michael,

I noticed on your 46.0 load your Extreme Velocity Spread was 20 fps. I realize it was only 3 shots and 2 were the same velocity and one was 20 fps higher.

As awesome as that group you shot was, how will that load work at lets say 1k (Vertical Spread)? I only ask this as I have been told that one would like to have ES in the single digits if possible.

This may be a dumb question but I am trying to learn.

Thanks,
Ray
20 FPS with this load would "theoretically" be 4-5" high or low for a 20 FPS extreme spread. Good harmonics also come into play here. While at 1K harmonics cant completely make up for the extreme spread, they do help quite a bit. It is common still to see 1/2 to 1 MOA groups at 1K even with more than 20 FPS spreads IF the harmonics are right. 20-25 FPS really is managable. Single digit ES's are nice but not always attained. One year I was working with Federal GMM ammo and found the ES to be nearly 60 FPS yet the ammo held 1 MOA out to 1K and much better at 700 and 800. The "theoretic" horizontal component was more than the groups were large. Then again, Federal GMM is a known "sweet spot" for the 308.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Michael, I don't have the info on me at the moment for all my loads but the 85.5 grain load had an average muzzle velocity of 2943 .

bigbuck

Have you loaded them up to 3200+ or have you stopped at 85.5?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply! It seems I have been a little to fussy
Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Hey michael,

just curious, do you do your load development the way you would shoot in the field? i.e. off a bipod or off a front rest, bag etc??
Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
Hey michael,

just curious, do you do your load development the way you would shoot in the field? i.e. off a bipod or off a front rest, bag etc??

That is a big yes. I typically shoot of the bench with a bi-pod and a small sand bag under the stock. I also shoot in the prone position off of the pod with my back pack under the stock. I do not use mechnical rests and rabbit ears.