Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development made easy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: Load development made easy.

If you were starting a fresh load do you have a pre determined point on or off the lands that you start at before doing your ladder test? Is it safe to start kissing the lands and doing your ladder test to find your OCW and then working your way off the lands to fine tune your load for accuracy?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever-hed View Post
in other words the OCW method if done correctly will optimize the charge weight of a particular accuracy node ....
ie.. if the accuracy node is 45.5-grains to 46.8-grains, and the most accurate charge wt is 46.0, then variations of charge weight due to a very slight missed measurement or temperature /humidity variations will have minimal impact on the bullet flight (according to the optimal charge weight theory).. right?
That is correct. Dont confuse this with normal trajectory variances though.

The arc of the trajectory after your near zero will still change with temp, pressure and humidity but your near zero POI and accuracy will be as optimum as possible.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
If you were starting a fresh load do you have a pre determined point on or off the lands that you start at before doing your ladder test? Is it safe to start kissing the lands and doing your ladder test to find your OCW and then working your way off the lands to fine tune your load for accuracy?
Starting fresh I start into the lands and work them back. It is safe to start this way SO LONG as you are staring at minimal charges to begin with and working up. When I recieved my 338 Edge barrel I started at a rediculously low charge weight (83 grains) and loaded up in 1.0 grain increments. One shot each. I fired each load over the chrony to see what charges yeilded what velocities. After seeing that 83 grains was safe and very low I skipped 84 and went to 85, then 87, then 88 and 89. Then I went back to the reloading bench and loaded 3 each of 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92. Knowing that 2700-2800 is the best zone for the 300 grain pills and H1000 in a 28" barrel, I started my "development" at the charge weight that yeilded velocities in the high 2600's and worked up from there. I started into the lands to begin with. The example above also gave me a figure for how much velocity gain there is per grain. You have to be very carefull though doing this when load density reaches close to 100% because once you reach max loads, the velocity increase per grain can jump VERY significantly.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
That is correct. Dont confuse this with normal trajectory variances though.

The arc of the trajectory after your near zero will still change with temp, pressure and humidity but your near zero POI and accuracy will be as optimum as possible.

Thanks for that, I understand. That is a nicely executed sampling.

How many overall shots for each bullet / powder combination did you make to achieve your OCW.??
Old 07-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever-hed View Post
Thanks for that, I understand. That is a nicely executed sampling.

How many overall shots for each bullet / powder combination did you make to achieve your OCW.??
The target you see in the first post. That is how many shots. It is the only OCW test I have done for this rifle. It was just such a good example, I thought I would post and share. I have done other development with this rifle, just not OCW. Once I settled on a powder and bullet, then I spend the time to perfect it.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 07-30-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, Thanks for the post I've always wonderd
what folks were talking about when they said NODE now I know . I think I found it the other day with my 300rum I was using retumbo powder shooting 3 shot groups at 200 yrds.
I started with bergers load data the only thing that's got me confused is my gun seems to like the lowest load recomended. I shot 3 different powder charges under 1'' at 200 yrds the best group was .318 at 200 yrds and it was the lowest powder charge on the chart 85.5 grains of retumbo. Do you know why this is ? I just can't make myself change when it's shooting so good at the lower charge weight . one last thing my barrel only has 97 rounds down the tube.

bigbuck
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Michael, Thanks for the post I've always wonderd
what folks were talking about when they said NODE now I know . I think I found it the other day with my 300rum I was using retumbo powder shooting 3 shot groups at 200 yrds.
I started with bergers load data the only thing that's got me confused is my gun seems to like the lowest load recomended. I shot 3 different powder charges under 1'' at 200 yrds the best group was .318 at 200 yrds and it was the lowest powder charge on the chart 85.5 grains of retumbo. Do you know why this is ? I just can't make myself change when it's shooting so good at the lower charge weight . one last thing my barrel only has 97 rounds down the tube.

bigbuck
What velocities is that charge giving you?