Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development/fireforming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Load development/fireforming

Can they be done together?
I have a 243 AI being delivered shortly and will need to fire form the new brass. Can I do the ladder test at the same time or does the ladder test need to be done after the forming of the brass.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Load development/fireforming

I think you would want to do load developement after fireforming.
After forming you will have diffrent case.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

There are probably more than a couple schools of thought.

You might be able to narrow your bullet selection while fireforming?

On the other hand, I have mostly used surplus bullets and odd lots of powder that I happen to have on hand; to get it over with, without keeping score.

The best solution is to get a loaner rifle with a junk barrel from your gunsmith, chambered using the same reamer as used on your rifle. This way, I have been able to shoot full house loads, 100 per hour, and have the case perfectly formed in one firing. Bang, bang, bang, and your cases are ready for serious evaluations, and no wasted rounds through your new barrel.

Good hunting. LB
Old 07-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

My suspicion was not. The case will change during the forming process such that subsequent firings using the same load would yield different velocities and pressures. I was curious as to whether anyone had luck doing both at the same time. I'll use the forming process to break in the new barrel and load develope on the second go round.
Thanks guys.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

I sure would not recommend fireforming and doing the ladder test. Fireforming loads will probably give inconsistant velocity spreads. You can fireform while you are breaking in the barrel. That will give you a fair amount of brass. Save the ladder test for when your cases are formed.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Hey cowman [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img],

I am working the same project as you are working towards.To fireform my cases initially I picked a upper end load of powder that I knew had performed well in my std. .243.( 38 grs. of IMR 4350) I used a 107 smk seated touching the lands.My twist is 7.5. 100 YD. groups( 14 rounds) were about 1.75 " But ! 300 yd groups were about 1.5"( guess the settled down by then)

My thought on this is that you could play with diff bullet wt. on you fire form loads ,but you will still need to develope your loads after you have fireformed your cases. Are you neck sizing only ?

Jim
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Jimm - Thats how I'm going to fire form. Top end load that worked as well as any I had (38 gr varget pushing 80 gr nosler ballistic tip). The new barrel is a pac nor super match 1-10 twist 30 inches in length. I will be neck sizing after the fireforming. How far above the standard max load did you end up going during the development? I'll probably end up going with a heavier bullet but I need to use the 80 grainers up. I may end up switching powders also, we will see. What chrony are you using? I don't own one but have access to an ohler so I should be set. When its finished I will post a pic of fiftydrivers work.