Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Load development ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post
Please clarify... I'm in no way new to reloading, but I am new to bushing dies . I thought bushing size was how you changed neck tension, and how does .000" change anything?
Yeah, I am confused too. I thought changing bushing size did change neck tension. Isn't that the idea...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

I didn't buy a Krieger #10 contour to worry about hot bore stringing shots.

I use the OCW method so the first round is all cold bore. I clean the bore after round 1 then fire three cool for 45-60 seconds fire three and so on. this keeps the bore pretty warm but not super hot. This will give me an idea of where my cold bore shots will be vs warm bore. Also it opens up the groups and exaggerates the OCW and scatter node. I also plan on shoot F-class type matches so I will have a good idea how the rifle behaves when hot. It also give me an oppertunity to work on shooting through mirage.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Neck tension amounts only to springback area gripping a bullet, and brass only springs back maximum that it can.
Your properly determined bushing size accounts for springback and brass thickness to provide DESIRED tension. Beyond max tension, as dependent on your brass hardness, you're only oversizing necks, which is bad.
When the bushing isn't small enough, the necks can spring back to leave little or no tension(.000").
Annealing is another subject, but directly affects tension(always reducing it), as it affects springback. Sometimes this is just what the doctor orders.

To see what your actual tension is, size a neck, seat a bullet, measure the loaded neck OD, pull the bullet, measure the neck OD. That springback amount(and only that) is what grips the bullet.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Neck tension amounts only to springback area gripping a bullet, and brass only springs back maximum that it can.
Your properly determined bushing size accounts for springback and brass thickness to provide DESIRED tension. Beyond max tension, as dependent on your brass hardness, you're only oversizing necks, which is bad.
When the bushing isn't small enough, the necks can spring back to leave little or no tension(.000").
Annealing is another subject, but directly affects tension(always reducing it), as it affects springback. Sometimes this is just what the doctor orders.

To see what your actual tension is, size a neck, seat a bullet, measure the loaded neck OD, pull the bullet, measure the neck OD. That springback amount(and only that) is what grips the bullet.
Thanks for clarification! Understandable, that was my view before. Bushings do provide different neck tensions up to an optimal point.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I didn't buy a Krieger #10 contour to worry about hot bore stringing shots.

I use the OCW method so the first round is all cold bore. I clean the bore after round 1 then fire three cool for 45-60 seconds fire three and so on. this keeps the bore pretty warm but not super hot. This will give me an idea of where my cold bore shots will be vs warm bore. Also it opens up the groups and exaggerates the OCW and scatter node. I also plan on shoot F-class type matches so I will have a good idea how the rifle behaves when hot. It also give me an opportunity to work on shooting through mirage.
So which of these loads did you like, and what was your next step in development?
I'm about to start an OCW series for the first time and know what I'd pick but wondered what you chose.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
So which of these loads did you like, and what was your next step in development?
I'm about to start an OCW series for the first time and know what I'd pick but wondered what you chose.
I chose 79.5 gr. Looks like another node at 81.5 ish but I just cant get that much in the case. Next I will adjust seating depth in .008 increments from .020 off the lands to .012 in the lands.

This target was shot with a wicked mirage and a "boiling" wind.

BTW I own a 99 Vette with some mods for a couple years. Really miss it. Saving for a C6z on day.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I chose 79.5 gr. Looks like another node at 81.5 ish but I just cant get that much in the case. Next I will adjust seating depth in .008 increments from .020 off the lands to .012 in the lands.

This target was shot with a wicked mirage and a "boiling" wind.

BTW I own a 99 Vette with some mods for a couple years. Really miss it. Saving for a C6z on day.
OK.

My thought was to try a few from 79 to 80.5 and see what you got if you felt like going further - again, based on reading about this a lot and not having yet tried it.

Bought an 08 for my 40th birthday a few years ago. Nice cars.