Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: Load development ?

I agree, a smaller busing does NOT increase tension. Some folks just prefer to see it that way

Cold or ambient temp. The groups were tighter with a "cold" barrel.

Alan
Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
A tighter bushing doesn't change tension. Sizing LENGTH does this.
By temp needed, I meant will you need the barrel hot/med/or cold in the field?
I agree. .003", .002", .001" below caliber doesn't change tension. But, .000" does.

Is he talking .001" before or after springback?

A bushing that sizes to .001" less than caliber can be a problem if....

(a) your measurements and/or neck wall thickness aren't accurate/consistent and you end up with some that are really about .000" below caliber

(b) if your neck walls begin to thin and/or need annealing after numerous firings and you end up around .000" with some

-- richard
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

That's true Richard, and I should have qualified my reply specific to Alan's message.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
That's true Richard, and I should have qualified my reply specific to Alan's message.
Well, I knew that you knew. But, it's not obvious to everyone.

Like many things it was a lesson I had to learn the hard way.

-- richard
Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red hunter View Post
Sometimes there are thing that make you go HMMM??
I was asked a question the other day and it has me going HMMM?? Maybe you got something there.
Here it is... When you do your load development do you let your barrel completely cool ? What if it is a load you are working on for tournament shooting when you have "x" number of rounds to fire in a set time period? Do you think that it would be better to shoot your rounds for load development the same as you would for a shoot with a set time limit where your barrel is going to heat up anyway and shoot a higher number of rounds at each powder charge?

What do you think?
I like to let the barrel get as cool between loads/groups as possible. But i like to test loads to the conditions as close to what it will be used in (cold/hot). I also try to use powders that aren't affected by temp changes but the barrel is always a different story since it's metal and always affected by temparture changes.

I would just test load at 5 shots, your going to have loads that your gun is not going to like and seems to be a waste of time loading more than that when the first 5 would be enough to show it doesn't like it. I do think it would be wise to shoot the amount you'll have to shoot in a competition to find out how your gun will group going from cold bore to hot after you got a load that the guns likes....IMO.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

With barrels I've developed for, which are med/heavy straight taper contours, there is some bore change with temperature transients(heating up).
The barrel heats from the bore outward and initially the bore is confined to expansion -inward, as the outer area hasn't yet sunk the heat to a stabilize dimensions. The colder outer area is not allowing the hotter bore to expand as much as it wants to(outward), so the bore expands inward(constricting) until it can finally swing outward(always least resistance). With this, performance can change.
But atleast in IBS & NBRSA you get a sighter period to freshly foul and bring the barrel to stable temps.
I can't imagine a competitor not utilizing this opportunity, given that everyone else is.

I'm not a competitor, but if I were, I would work out a prefouling and heat-up rate for that sighter period that provides the best results in record shots. There would always be a timer on my bench/rest.
You can't load develop with all this change though. You really need to get the bore stable before testing.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I agree. .003", .002", .001" below caliber doesn't change tension. But, .000" does.

-- richard
Please clarify... I'm in no way new to reloading, but I am new to bushing dies . I thought bushing size was how you changed neck tension, and how does .000" change anything?