Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load development in 80 + degrees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Load development in 80 + degrees

Happens to me all the time. When I work up a load I usually try and find one that is below max but still gives good velocity. This allows some stability. I also find that the humidity affects the MV a great deal. By great deal I mean up to 100fps. That may be something as well.

My 168 Berger load is 70g of Retumbo. When it gets warm out I start to see plunger marks on the headstamp. WHen it is cool i'm good to go.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I have found that if you run a MAX load that was developed in cool air and 80+ degrees comes around, pressure signs are sure to follow. It doesnt matter if it is "extreme" powder or not.

The difference is when using extreme powders and you work up to max and actually back off, things typically stay cool even in warmer air. They key is IF you back down from max. Other powders may be more sensitive and show signs of high pressure in warmer air than when developed even under max loads.

The bottom line is that if youre running absolute max loads that were developed in cool air, be prepared for pressure signs in the heat regardless of what powder youre using.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
I have found that if you run a MAX load that was developed in cool air and 80+ degrees comes around, pressure signs are sure to follow. It doesnt matter if it is "extreme" powder or not.

The difference is when using extreme powders and you work up to max and actually back off, things typically stay cool even in warmer air. They key is IF you back down from max. Other powders may be more sensitive and show signs of high pressure in warmer air than when developed even under max loads.

The bottom line is that if youre running absolute max loads that were developed in cool air, be prepared for pressure signs in the heat regardless of what powder youre using.
I understand and expected that. I also understand no powder is impervious to temp. I just listed the powder type cause if I didn't someone would have asked. what surprised me is not being able to get within 100 fps or a grain of powder of "listed" max when working up in the hot weather. I have never been able to produce super fast loads in this gun (it just won't tolerate it) but have always been able to get a little closer than this.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Your rifle may like a different powder for the 130's than the 140's. Why not back off your load for the 140's a grain or two for the summer shooting, and when hunting season comes around go back to your cool weather load?

Just a thought,

Steve