Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Load Density - what's too low?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Bronze Member

Load Density - what's too low?

I've been researching the importance of load density when reloading and I believe I understand the importance of why it should be considered when reloading and how it can affect your results in terms of accuracy and velocity. I also feel I have a reasonable understanding of the factors that effect a loads density such as powder burn rates, type of powder - fine vs course powder grains and the like.

What I can't seem to find is if there a density threshold at which you start seeing deminishing results. Is below 80% too much? Is over 90% high enough not to be concerned anymore?

What is too low?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Load Density - what's too low?

when your bullet gets stuck in the barrel you'll know.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post

I guess I should have added being sure to never load below the published minimum for the given cartridge, powder and bullet so as to avoid experiencing the problem you so cleverly stated.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Oh yeah !! You don't let that happen twice. :->

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

You don't say what you are trying to achieve, and I'm thinking your not going to find one answer. I'm guessing your talking about the slower burning powders, but there are powders out there that are better suited to reduced loads than others. I just got done shooting some 168, an 180 grain bullets in a 30-06. 29-35 grains of 5744, or about 50% load density.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
You don't say what you are trying to achieve, and I'm thinking your not going to find one answer. I'm guessing your talking about the slower burning powders, but there are powders out there that are better suited to reduced loads than others. I just got done shooting some 168, an 180 grain bullets in a 30-06. 29-35 grains of 5744, or about 50% load density.

Not really looking at any one specific cartridge...it's more of a question aimed to aid in the selection of powders. If you're trying to maximize both velocity and accuracy is there a load density range that one should strive for or stay away from when selecting a powder for a specific cartridge/powder/bullet combination?

For example:
270WSM 130gr bullet

IMR 4831 65gr 3200 ft/sec 97% load density
Varget 54 gr 3150 ft/sec 81% load density

In this example velocity will be close to equal but is the diffence in load density enough to have have a material difference in accuracy potential?

Is it advisable to stay away from powders that will result in an 80% load density in favor on one that offer a load density in the high 90% range?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

from what i have read and seen so far yes you want the highest load density. A full case or even a compressed load is best.

but i could be wrong and would like to have the right anwser to