Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

A little disappointing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A little disappointing...

Two entirely different bullets, why expect the same function from both? From what I've seen shooting Bergers that are heavy for cal is they kill by physically cutting and thrashing a permanent wound not by creating a huge shock wave that affects the nervous system which may or may not be permanent!! Your result are as to be expected, if I saw it through the scope I would think it all went as planned, deer tenderloins in the smoker

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

I do know Jeff, you were the one that convinced me to shoot them.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

To my thinking...the proper bullet for any animal ( different animals...different bullets) would penetrate without stopping until just under the skin on the opposite side. Hence ...100% of its energy was applied.

When they burst thru and go slamming into dirt and trees...some amount..????...of energy was waster..!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM

Heart shot animals run, doesn't matter what kind of bullet blew how big of a hole in the heart they just run.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
To my thinking...the proper bullet for any animal ( different animals...different bullets) would penetrate without stopping until just under the skin on the opposite side. Hence ...100% of its energy was applied.

When they burst thru and go slamming into dirt and trees...some amount..????...of energy was waster..!!!
Sully has the right answer here. The bullet did it's job by opening a big wound channel, and hitting in the vitals where you aimed it. The problem is that when a bullet does not slow down enough within the animal it doesn't transfer all of it's energy to the animal. Had you hit it in the shoulder blade the bullet would have transferred more energy and dropped the deer in it's tracks, not to mention the fact that the energy would have traveled into the spine as well causing even more damage.

I have seen heart shot deer run like you described, and I have seen them back up and do a back flip. It just depends, but it sounds like the bullet opened up and did it's job from your description of the exit wound. There just wasn't enough energy transfer to drop it in it's tracks.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with everyone here. It's not like in te movies when they shoot someone and te guy flies 10 yards backwards from the energy. It doesn't work like that. I have shot quite a few whitetail in Texas and quite a few of them have run with blood pouring out like a faucet was turned on! It just happens. All that matters is a good bullet and a good hit and sometimes a little patience and some tracking skills thrown in.

BTW..I shot a 5x5 bull elk with my bow this year and it only ran 30 yards and fell over dead. I thought it would run a LOT further than it did (first time bow hunting). Go figure.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Some animals just friggin refuse to die, it happens. I've had em flip over backwards and hit the ground dead with a heart shot, and had em rum out of sight with a heart shot. You gotta take out the CNS if you want DRT
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe