Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

A little disappointing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

A little disappointing...

This year I was eager to fill my North Dakota tag with my 300 ultra. I spent a ton of time testing, tuning, and falling in love with the 230 grain Bergers.

When it came crunch time, the bullet ripped through that deer with tremendous force. To my surprise, the deer ran over 100 yards after the shot leaving in its wake a crime scene like know other. My shot sliced the heart and ripped a whole that I could put my fist into. Did I say it ran over a 100 yards after the shot?

That's the disappointing part. You would thing with that energy it would have fallen like a ton of bricks. Has any of you had this happen to them?

After this happened by the way, I had a chance to shoot my WY Elk with my 338 ultra. I shoot a 265 Barnes through it and I have never had to chase a animal yet. I shot my elk square in the chest at 150 yards and it flipped it on its back.

Any feedback is good feedback! Thanks everyone!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A little disappointing...

Yes. I "Think" more so with a heart shot. I prefer above the heart where the great vessels come together. With the pump intact it seems to me they bleed out, and lose pressure quicker. I could be wrong about the last part, but. I have marveled at the tenacity of more than 1 critter. If the day comes I don't think a 300 ultra with 230 grain Bergers is enough for deer I'll likely hang it over the fireplace, and call it a career. LOL
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

I would totally agree with that statement....lol
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

As I jest with my partner, you've been watching too many hunting shows on TV.

Seriously, I see more whitetail run for 100 yards with no heart than all other animals I've shot combined. I shot one last year with my 7mm Rem Mag at 85 yards, took off part of his heart and he trotted off 60 yards like nothing happened. It's just the norm with whitetails - they don't know they've been shot until they fall over.

Unless, of course, there's a TV crew filming.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

So may I ask what more you would expect a bullet to do? I don't see what was not good?

And what was the shot distance on the deer please?

Jeff
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

I would agree that the bullet did ultimately did its job and I cannot complain at all about it. The shot was 200 yards, slightly quartering to me.

The disappointing thing was I figured that with the energy delivered at such a close range, it would have fallen over, not run away.

In every aspect, the bullet worked perfectly.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

It happens............. no matter what you use, Sooner or later and all you can really do is make that first one count and wait for them to drop.