Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Light Bullets/Slow Powders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Light Bullets/Slow Powders

[ QUOTE ]
The TSX doesn't open much of a wound channel.These are the reasons that I was thinking about the 150 Accubond.
Jimmy

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not my experience. I've killed and have seen kills with the TSX from 130 .277's to 168's and 180's in 30 cal. I've been fortunate to take about 16 animals with the TSX since 2003. I haven't seen blood trails so good if even necessary. My first kill, a small mulie in CO had a wound channel about the size of a tennis ball. With respect to total lung volume, that bullet removed about a third of it. How much more trauma do you need?

I used a 140 Accub. in my 270 last year and shot a buck at 45 yards. It killed him but I was not real impressed with that particular situation or wound channel at all. But this will not keep me from using it again or in different cals. Example, I use the 200 in my 300 RUM.

The following were all killed with either the 130 TSX or 168 TSX. No tracking necessary. All fell where hit. No matter the distance.

The last 3 pics are the same deer: kill pic, entrance, and exit hole.

Trust me, there was plenty of blood coming out of the deer in case one needed to track it. In fact, I've had more blood release from the all metal razor petals than a typical mushroomed bullet. Tearing flesh causes bleeding, cutting it with a razor, like the petals of a TSX makes it hemorrhage in copious amounts.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Derek,
Thanks for the photos.Even though the deer I have shot with the 168TSX didn't display impressive holes,I'll say this:when gutted most everything of value to the deer had turned to jelly.Hit one buck at 212yds.and it was like the earth was jerked out from under him!!
Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 07-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Krakey1,
I have used up Saturday morning playing with QT and QL.It is simply amazing how a lot of us toss and turn at night with different combos of loads for the extra velocity,safe pressure,accuracy,etc.,when all we really need is the accuracy and reasonable velocity with a good bullet.
I have come to the conclusion(for now!!)that I might just load up some 180 Accubonds,test for accuracy in my .300 Win.and go hunting!Don't know about others,but I can shoot the tiny groups from the bench,but in the field I don't think I could utilize an extra 75fps.or .5" in drop.
Thank you for throwing the cold water in my face!!I would bet that there are a few more people like me that read this thread.
Jimmy