Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lee and RCBS powder scale inaccuracy...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lee and RCBS powder scale inaccuracy...

"I think I'll stick to using a digital scale from now on."

Good luck. I won't .

As you have now defined your "certified" digital, it seems you understand the common public doesn't have access to any routine maint. service traceable to any certification agency. Mostly meaning the only relationship between your wife's scale and common ones is they all have digital readouts.

I've been reloading a long time. I have three beam scales now and have used several others. None of them ever had an error greater than about .2 gr at any point on the beam and, for me, that's quite acceptable so long as the scale is precisely repeatable - and mine are. I suspect that is a common accuracy level.

My 46 year old Lyman beam continues to read EXACTLY the same today as it did when I bought it, ditto my 42 year old Herter's scale, and they are NOT unique in that life expectancy. My little Lee "Safety" scale is a PITA to use but it's very sensitive and dead on. In fact, all three of my scales are much more sensitive than any reloading grade digital I've used and beams follow a powder trickler much better. I strongly doubt that any non-professionally maintained digital scale, at any price, will last half as long as my beams and they are still going strong; I really like that.

I can't imagine a hobbist reloader working on a viberating industrial machine room floor but I suppose it's possible to eventually damage a beam's knives if he does.

Last edited by boomtube; 02-21-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

boomtube---I couldn't have said it any better than you did in your post. For the money spent on a good beam scale, there is no way you could buy a good digital scale even the way prices have come down on things! Touching on accuracy of the two, I would bet if I could go back through my state records that the failure rate of digitals on my inspections exceeded those of mechanical scales! Anything with circuitry and using electricity is going to have problems more than a well maintained mechanical device IMHO. Also, I definitely agree with your analogy of trickling powder using the two because the beam is continually moving until you arrive at zero and stop the powder flow. With a digital scale, unless you have an expensive one that will accurately display those very minute changes, rather than internally until it reaches the break-point and displays the next readable figure, you could have problems stopping the flow where you want. Buy a good beam scale and it will last a lifetime if cared for and you can't say that about any digital scale that is comparably priced!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Boom Tube & Top Gun 30-06

Your are both dead on correct, especially about the remark made, about a break-point from one number to the next on a digital scale. All digital devices that display numbers have this problem. More than once while working in a machine shop over 46 years, I've had to prove this to a number of people during this time, by using a 1/10,000" analog dial indicator & a digital indicator side by side to prove this. It was easily seen by the naysayers who instantly, could no longer argue the point. It always amazes me how often people seem to disbelieve old technology could possibly be superior.

I have a Lyman M-5 beam scale made by Ohaus I've used since mid 1969. It's as accurate now as it was then. That's 44 years. Plenty reliable & accurate enough for me. The only thing I've done for maintenance, is to use a small soft brush to insure any dust was cleaned from the knife edges & the v-shape the knife edges pivoted in.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Gold Member

so whats the bset beam scale out there???????????? i'm ready to buy a realy good one and use my charge master to just get me close to the load then finish on the beam with a trickler. So i would like to buy a really good beam scale.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

This is an old thread but I'll jump in... I used a 10-10 for years and it has worked fine except for oncw it started acting up a little. I cleaned it up real well and it's working fine again. I use a Charegemaster now and will never go back. I keep the 10-10 for occasional cross check and back up but the Charegemaster is what I use period. The Chargemaster dispenses and measures fast and accurate. When I put my 250 gr check weight on it, it reads 250.0 gr. Can't get much more accurate than that.

If you're dead set on a beam scale, most of the ones on the market should do fine. Bottom line is you need to set it up properly and you need a good check weight to check it. I think the 10-10 is hard to beat for a beam scale.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 04-14-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
so whats the bset beam scale out there???????????? i'm ready to buy a realy good one and use my charge master to just get me close to the load then finish on the beam with a trickler. So i would like to buy a really good beam scale.
If you want a new one, the RCBS Model 1010 Magnetic Powder Scale 1010 Grain Capacity, identically the same design with a couple of minor changes as The Lyman M-5 made by Ohaus. Midway USA sells it. Here's the link:
RCBS Model 1010 Magnetic Powder Scale 1010 Grain Capacity

Midway USA doesn't show a cover or mention a cover for this scale, but I just checked the RCBS website and their description shown below says it comes with a cover. The beam, the pan & other parts store in the base when they aren't being used. I paid about $30 for mine in 1969.

10-10 Scale Description
Need up to 1,010-grain capacity with 0.1-grain sensitivity? You get it with the RCBS 10-10. Its approach-to-weight system speeds reloading and helps you avoid overloads. A micrometer poise allows easy adjustment at any setting from 0.1 to 10 grains. Other features: magnetic dampening, non-stick / non-spill aluminum pan, self-aligning agate bearings, hardened steel pivot knives and a tough plastic cover.

I'm pretty certain anyone who has used one will vouch for it's accuracy & reliability.
RCBS retails it at $201.95, but Midway USA has it on sale now for $143.99.
I've seen the Lyman M-5 many times on the Internet for around $25 - $40. Just from appearance alone, I suspect parts would be interchangeable.
It has a leveling screw at the left side that also stores a weight standard. Since there is no bubble, I suspect leveling is a little confusing. But even if it sets on a surface that isn't perfectly level, you adjust the screw until the two lines match up with each other for calibration before using it each time (a very simple procedure).

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf
Old 04-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
This is an old thread but I'll jump in... I used a 10-10 for years and it has worked fine except for oncw it started acting up a little. I cleaned it up real well and it's working fine again. I use a Charegemaster now and will never go back. I keep the 10-10 for occasional cross check and back up but the Charegemaster is what I use period. The Chargemaster dispenses and measures fast and accurate. When I put my 250 gr check weight on it, it reads 250.0 gr. Can't get much more accurate than that.

If you're dead set on a beam scale, most of the ones on the market should do fine. Bottom line is you need to set it up properly and you need a good check weight to check it. I think the 10-10 is hard to beat for a bean scale.

MARK: Same deal here. I used a 1010 for mucho / many years and 2 years ago bought a ChargeMaster. Use 99% of the time the ChargeMaster. I get load "more accurate" and LOTS quicker.