Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lee and RCBS powder scale inaccuracy...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

Lee and RCBS powder scale inaccuracy...

So I bought the Lee challenger kit a week back and love it, but I decided to verify the grain weight of the scale vs. a trued digital scale. With the Lee scale set at 49 grains the digital scale was showing 44.8. That's a huge difference!

I decided to go back through the instructions for zeroing out the scale once again and retried. Again, the digital was showing about 4.5 grains less than the Lee.

I went to my buddies and took the digital scale with me. We tried it against his RCBS scale. It was off by 1.8 to 2.5 grains.

This would explain why my load data said I should be pushing 3200 fps but when I chrono'd my loads they were 2940 fps.

I then used the digital to check bullet weights. It was dead on. The Hornady Vmax 75 grains all scaled out at 75.1 to 75.3.

I think I'll stick to using a digital scale from now on.

Anyone else have similar results?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lee and RCBS powder scale inaccuracy...

That is the reason that they have check weights so you can calibrate you scale. In my experience it is a stretch to say that the Lee scale would make a good paper weight. Never had any problem with my RCBS beam scale. It is right on the money.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
That is the reason that they have check weights so you can calibrate you scale. In my experience it is a stretch to say that the Lee scale would make a good paper weight. Never had any problem with my RCBS beam scale. It is right on the money.

I didn't get a check weight with the Lee scale. Obviously the certified digital scale has a 100 gr weight.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

A cheap scale is a cheap scale, whether it's digital or beam. As RT2506 said, that's why we have (and hopefully use) check weights. I have more issues with digital scale, as I've seen plenty of them that would hold adjustment, wouldn't weigh accurately and defied attempts to correct them. Again, they were cheap ones. Among the less expensive svales, I think the beam type tend to be more accurate and trouble free, but they all need to be checked, zeroed and rechecked from time to time.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin---As a retired State of Michigan W&M Investigator with over 30 years experience, I have to agree with you 100%. I use an OHaus beam scale and if a beam scale is taken care of they will last a lifetime and match or exceed accuracy of any of these lower priced digital scales they are selling nowadays.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Kevin---As a retired State of Michigan W&M Investigator with over 30 years experience, I have to agree with you 100%. I use an OHaus beam scale and if a beam scale is taken care of they will last a lifetime and match or exceed accuracy of any of these lower priced digital scales they are selling nowadays.
I can definitely see a high quality beam scale to be the cats meow. Unfortunately, I think the market has more lower quality cheap scales readily available. The digital scale I use is a fairly expensive cerified scale that included a cerified weight. I feel I can trust it right now much more than my beam scale.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Don't know why you are putting my quote up and then making a response that you have an expensive digital scale. That was not what was mentioned in our discussion. By the way, what are you calling a "certified" scale? When the term "certified" is used in weights & measures it means that the device has been tested by a W&M Official and meets all the requirements of Handbook 44. A certified scale would normally be one that is in use in a commercial operation where buying and/or selling takes place, not one used to weigh gun powder!