Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lee priming tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Lee priming tools

BountyHunter has a good point! Why take a chance for only $20 We could get one thats safe for the federal primers.

CAM
Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
There has been several documented cases of fed primers going of in the lee tool.

Note that the only guys that have had problems are missing fingers and not posting here.

I use the RCBS tool with feds, cost is about $20 also.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I had always treated the "lee autoprime and federal primers" the same way I did the "haloween candy and razor blades" thing... never seen it happen, and never heard of anybody who has had it happen, or known anybody that it happened to so I figured it was marketing hype or something...
Bounty hunter, ever hear any theories as to why federal primers and not any else?
BTW, bounty hunters word is good enough for me to anybody who cares... ill be picking up a RCBS hand primer on my run into town friday.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

One of the 1k br shooters at one of the matches was talking about his going boom in his hand. No real damage other some burns and needing change of underwear.

He said underwear and drycleaning was more than the RCBS tool.

That is classified as a "significant emotional event"!!

BH
Old 11-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I've been using the Lee tool I think since it was invented. I have never had one detonate. I always load it with the full 100 primers too. I also have made every mistake you can with one. I have seated primers upside down, on their sides and even tried to seat two in the same case. When I was a kid we used to put primers on the work bench and whack them with a hammer just to hear them go off. (We quit doing that due to expense and now just stick to Acetylene/Oxygen bombs for making big bangs in the shop.) I can't imagine one doing anything more than get crap in your eye or ring your ear if you were close enough. I have even deprimed live ones. They really are pretty hard to set off. I have center punched them with a 22LR while seated in a shotgun shell on a fence post and they still didn't go off. Even the thin pistol primers you can't take much pressure off of a Smith & Wesson hammer spring and still reliably ignite them. I don't buy it primers going off in a Lee tool. I will continue to use mine with oblivious confidence.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.