Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die Questions

Do any of you guys remove the collet and polish the outter tappered part of the collet so that it'll have a smoother surface to interface with the tappered bushing that holds the mandrel? This surface has rings or ridges where it contacts the madrel bushing which causes the squeezing action of the collet. I disassembled mine to sand the edges of the slits in the collet like I've read that others do but after seeing these ridges I was thinking they needed to be polished down smooth.

Also do any of you put a little grease at these contact points and between the die body and collet which has a sliding action?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die Questions

Yes to all of the above.
In addition I polish most of the parts that pull through the neck with 2000 grit sandpaper (from the auto parts store). In the Lee collet neck sizer I polish the mandrel and wrap a piece around a drill bit and polish the inside of the collet. It doesn't take much to smooth it up- less than a thousandth. Everything shines like a mirror. The reduction in friction is amazing and it has to help case life.

I use wheel bearing grease between the collet and die body, "A little dab will do yah".
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Kennibear's advice is spot on. I don't think you can name a surface treatment step that hasn't been used by some reloader on the Collet Neck Die. Smooth surfaces are much better than rough surfaces. Polish away.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

I should mention that I polish EVERYBOBY's neck parts, even Big Green. In pistol dies the neck expander comes out and I chuck it into the drill press at <200rpm and hit it w/ 2000 grit + a drop of light oil (protect the threads w/ a wrap of electrical tape). 2000 not 200. The expanding mandrel looks like mirror and before and after tests show a dramatic drop in effort. I have machinist Micrometers w/ standards 0" - 6" (Starrett) that read to a ten-thousandth and it changes less than one division (<0.0001").
Well worth the effort. Hand polishing costs manufacturers big $ so I don't harp on any of them.
Glad to do it myself.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry to highjack your thread, good advice all, How do you get your decapping pin to last more than 36 shells? that is when mine broke, seemed to be working well up until that point. Is there a different pin and where do i get one?

thank you
Gale Johnson
Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

I have decapped hundred of once fired brass with crimped primers without issue. That said I have a couple spare decapers.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Gale, decap pins don't "break", they get broken by the user. You'll have to find out how.

With no clue what brand of die your using we can't tell you how to get new pins but you'll likely have to contact the maker.