Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

lee collet dies/rcbs dies/foster bonanza dies/who's dies are best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: lee collet dies/rcbs dies/foster bonanza dies/who's dies are best?

I learned to reload from a fella who had reloaded for decades and reloading was a part of his gunsmithing business. He had me order the RCBS micrometer bullet seating die for .284 and i bought a second bullet sleeve for .308. With these two sleeves i was able to reload for my 7mm RM and my 300 Win.

For sizing/case prep, we usually only neck-sized (using RCBS dies), but i did have the full-length re-sizer dies when full-length sizing was necessary. However, with the full-length re-sizer die he machined the expander ball down so it wouldn't contact the brass.

With reloads from this set-up, my 300 Win, which was a blue-printed Rem 700 w/ Douglas barrel, was a consistent sub-quarter-MOA shooter. I'll not buy another Douglas barrel b/c of huge amounts of fouling, but that's another thread topic.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
For sizing/case prep, we usually only neck-sized (using RCBS dies), but i did have the full-length re-sizer dies when full-length sizing was necessary. However, with the full-length re-sizer die he machined the expander ball down so it wouldn't contact the brass.
I think the die's neck would be way to small for decent results. Without the expander ball, full length sizing dies need their necks opened up a few thousandths to 1 to 3 thousandths smaller than loaded round neck diameters.

I've loaded ammo with out the expander ball in full length dies and pressure was way too high for safety with bullets gripped so darned tight having been seated in case neck sized down too much.

Quote:
With reloads from this set-up, my 300 Win, which was a blue-printed Rem 700 w/ Douglas barrel, was a consistent sub-quarter-MOA shooter. I'll not buy another Douglas barrel b/c of huge amounts of fouling, but that's another thread topic.
A consistent sub-quarter-MOA shooter? No group's been larger than 1/4th MOA from this shoulder fired rifle and ammo so reloaded? That's amazing. Never heard of a Douglas barrel nor neck only sized cases doing that well. Kudos to your and your stuff!!!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
I found that the old Lyman dies were quite soft and far easier to drill than some others . The first ones I made by hand using a new high speed steel cobalt drill .
I drilled from inside the die outward so it minimised any burr at the shoulder / neck junction of the die not the case .
Tried different ways to lapp the edge of the shoulder / neck junction with varying success . Wrecked a few dies but in the end got a few that worked ok .
I like to think I invented the body die but I am fully aware that many others would have faced the same reloading problems and came up with the same solutions .
Now I have met one . A man can have his dreams can he not ?
Try it next time with a standard Hi-Roc drill bit. They're made of a softer grade of carbide, and actually drill very accurately. Just crank of the suface speed, and cool it with something like basic grinder coolant (mist works best). A boring bar with a ceramic insert ought to work well too. The hardest ones I've recut were Lee's. They look like they are made of 4350 pretreat and have a very deep nitride case (plasma?) Lee does a very good job in their heat processes, and how they can get them that hard is amazing to me!

gary
Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Does the use of Sinclair Expander Dies help to improve runout?

Look at this:

Sinclair Generation II Expander Dies | Sinclair Intl
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloader222 View Post
Does the use of Sinclair Expander Dies help to improve runout?
I'm a believer that the least amount of metal moving in sizing case necks keeps them best aligned with case shoulders and bodies. Expander dies help get a given cartridge neck larger for bigger bullets, but as far as reloading fired cases, the case body needs to be held solidly in place while its neck is swaged down just enough to let brass springback make the case mouth just tight enough on the bullet to keep it in place from seating die to chamber.

If the ammo's gonna be handled roughly, then tighter neck tension's a a requirement. Otherwise, size fired case neck down no more than needed. And do that with a die that keeps the case body from moving around as the die's neck goes its last bit down the case neck and its shoulder pushes the fired case shoulder back a thousandth or so making everything as perfect as can be. . .alignment wise.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I think the die's neck would be way to small for decent results. Without the expander ball, full length sizing dies need their necks opened up a few thousandths to 1 to 3 thousandths smaller than loaded round neck diameters.

I've loaded ammo with out the expander ball in full length dies and pressure was way too high for safety with bullets gripped so darned tight having been seated in case neck sized down too much.

A consistent sub-quarter-MOA shooter? No group's been larger than 1/4th MOA from this shoulder fired rifle and ammo so reloaded? That's amazing. Never heard of a Douglas barrel nor neck only sized cases doing that well. Kudos to your and your stuff!!!!!
No rifle, anywhere, ever has a consistent, exceptionally high level of accuracy with *every* cartridge that will fit in the chamber. I meant that with the accuracy loads that were developed, it was consistently a 1/4 MOA shooter.

This was quite awhile ago so i'm forgetting some of the detail, but iirc (always a potential for error!!!), yes, the expander ball on the FL die was machined down. However, on the neck sizer i believe there was an expander.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I meant that with the accuracy loads that were developed, it was consistently a 1/4 MOA shooter.
That's what I thought you meant.

But every rifle's set of groups typically has a 3x to 4x spread from their smallest ones to their largest ones. Even benchrest few-shot single-group records are down in their "smallest" range. In aggreate matches consisting of several groups, the largest ones are sometimes 5x larger than their smallest ones but the average of all groups is how they're ranked.

No rifle-ammo combination shoots all their groups the same size which is whay my comment was based on about your "consistant 1/4 MOA shooter." If your groups average 1/4 MOA, then that ain't consistant 1/4 MOA.