Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lee collet dies--inconsistant neck tension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Lee collet dies--inconsistant neck tension

Guys,
I'm loading some 22-250 ammo and for some reason am getting some bullets that -all but fall into the cases.

I neck sized only and believe i used the same pressure on the lever from case to case.
What am i doing wrong? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Mike
Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lee collet dies--inconsistant neck tension

Measure inside neck before resizing,resize measure again.if the brass is too hard it will be very close to the same.if it is and the brass is new (less than 6 or7 reloads)anneal it if not discard.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Writers Guild

Ensure that the base is moving freely in the die up and down and spins easily. Sometimes it can jam and stop sizing the neck.

If all is well, use more force. This is a manual die where your force does the sizing.

Jerry
Old 10-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

I was useing Lee dies for 22-250AI thought I'd save some money rather than pay the high price for Redding. That was a mistake all kinds of problems. Now I use Redding no more problems.Also friday morning one certian coyote hasn't any more problems either
Old 10-17-2005, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

Great!
Another oppertunity to slag off Lee dies [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I have now read quite a few reports of problems with Lee collet dies, which are not the fault of the operator.
So, to those who are using them, does this not telling you something?
The only place for Lee dies is in the bin!

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Mike,
The easiset thing to do would be to slap a caliper on the neck OD before and after sizing. See if the diameter is changing... and if you are using enough pressure. These days ive been screwing my collet dies further into the press than the instructions say... and it works easier for me. If the mike shows that the brass is being sized, give lee a call and tell them your problem, they have undersized mandrels, though I suspect that you may not have to go that far.
Every once in a while the Colet die bashing bandwagon gets loaded and rolling... but id be happy to buy these defective dies if you folks are really that tired of them and its one I don't have. Theres still a few I don't have... Ive only got 9.
Don't need a 300WM though. Mine seems to be working fine. 2, 3shot groups at 400yds, with the right from a clean cold barrel, a half minute adjustment to the left, and 3 more from a fouled cold barrel. The bipod bounced kinda funny on the shot that dropped out the bottom.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Writers Guild

Not the fault of the operator....Ummmmm.

I like to have the press ram touch the die about 2/3's the way down on the press lever. This gives me lots of leverage to give that die a nice 'squeeze'.

If you find that even with all this the brass is not sizing, take the die apart and measure the mandrel. It should be 3 to 4 thou under bullet diameter. If this is correct, you need to anneal the brass.

One nice feature rarely discussed is that the die can be an indicator of neck hardening (case spring back is high). If I find a few cases that will not size, I know that the necks need to get annealed. That is usually when 'flyers' start to show up. After annealing, all is well again.

No other die has been able to show me this problem. Yet another reason why I like these Lee dies.

Jerry

PS will buy most Collet dies you don't want. I need more.