close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Lee collet dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lee collet dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmSendaro View Post
I have found that I can't screw them in as far as the instructions recommend without crushing cases. I start at one turn past the shell holder, then bump it in slowly until I get the neck tension I'm looking for. I am using a Rock Crusher press.

I always install a locking nut (Hornady) so once I find a setting I like, I can lock it down. Once you have that, your good to go the next time.
Follow Woods instructions with the collet dies. Run down the die as far as the threads allows to limit the mechanical advatage the press exerts on the case. I exert approx 25 lbs and then I rotate the case and exert 25lbs again. Done. Set the die up this way and it is bullet proof, always has good neck tension and with minimal runout.
    Unread 07-15-2009, 03:51 AM
    Silver Member

There seem to be several ideas as to whether or not you allow the press to toggle over - despite Lee's instructions.

I've been using mine for only about 6 months now, so I don't claim to be the expert, but after many internet searches and reading several comments regarding the dies mine are set up to allow the press to toggle over.

I believe that this is more accurate than trying to gauge a consistent 20 or 25 lb pressure which also provides no reliable area to stop.

I set mine up do that the press only just goes over and I only require very light pressure to do so (although of course with a compound press that could be a lot of pressure).

So far so good.

Unread 07-15-2009, 08:02 AM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LRHWAL View Post
    There seem to be several ideas as to whether or not you allow the press to toggle over - despite Lee's instructions.

I've been using mine for only about 6 months now, so I don't claim to be the expert, but after many internet searches and reading several comments regarding the dies mine are set up to allow the press to toggle over.

I believe that this is more accurate than trying to gauge a consistent 20 or 25 lb pressure which also provides no reliable area to stop.

I set mine up do that the press only just goes over and I only require very light pressure to do so (although of course with a compound press that could be a lot of pressure).

So far so good.
    The beauty of the Lee collets is you do not need a reliable area to stop. Regardless of how much pressure you exert on the handle beyond around 20lbs the collet will not give anymore and neck tension will not change. Truth be told when I try to partial size the necks in order lightly hold a bullet while finding my seating depth I cannot use more than around 5 - 10 lbs of force or the neck will be fully sized and I cannot slide the bullet in. If you use the toggle over method variances in case lengths will actually cause less consistent neck tension because shorter cases will not have as much pressure exerted on the dies.
    Unread 07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
    Silver Member

imo , it doesn’t matter how far you turn the die in, as long as your not toggling over – the mandrel and collet prevent you from doing anything funky, so when you have the lever depressed to the point it gets hard to go further, that’s when the mandrel and collet engage the neck and start sizing it..
    IMO I really have no problem with the instructions, they work just fine, its just a matter of getting a feeling of the pressure – I don’t go gorilla on it, just use firm elbow pressure and you re there.. its really not that hard to repeat. Typically with my rockchucker I set die up to touch, then turn in 1 ¼ to 1 ½ more turns and this works great. No lube, no muss no fuss. My neck diameters are consistent to within under 1/1000th . I usually rotate the case and size again for uniformity.
    If you want firmer neck tension you can send for a custom mandrel, or even buff down the one you have (no more then .001).
    Unread 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
    Gold Member

Woods: wow thanks for the pics, makes since. Thanks to everyone else also. These dies are way different than what I'm used to.
    Unread 07-16-2009, 08:25 AM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3006savage View Post
    The beauty of the Lee collets is you do not need a reliable area to stop. Regardless of how much pressure you exert on the handle beyond around 20lbs the collet will not give anymore and neck tension will not change. Truth be told when I try to partial size the necks in order lightly hold a bullet while finding my seating depth I cannot use more than around 5 - 10 lbs of force or the neck will be fully sized and I cannot slide the bullet in. If you use the toggle over method variances in case lengths will actually cause less consistent neck tension because shorter cases will not have as much pressure exerted on the dies.
    Makes you wonder why no one has a press with a adjustable torque handle. I would be useful for making Lee Collets consistant, gauging bullet pull and even just making the resizing process more consistant.

Could be done with a dial indicator on the handle or with a let off.
    Unread 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
    Bronze Member

I really like the positive aspects of the lee collet dies, but I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to get them set up and how much pressure to put on the handle. All I seem to be able to do is pop the caps off, I don't think I am cranking on them too hard, but apparently I am.

It ain't easy being an overgrown midwest farm boy.

I have a forster co-axe press. I been wondering if I would have better luck using them in a rock chucker or a reding boss press