Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

lee collet dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

lee collet dies

Hey all ! I think I'm in love with these dies,but one small problem. When I am resisizing I run into cases tha t are difficult to lift the press handle , like stuck ,then breaks free ,and the if I do the lee recommended 1/2 turn then resize it's still difficult to lift the press handle . Am I putting too much force on the case and sticking the die ? I am setting the die up according to the destructions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]( touch ,then two turns ,since I use a Rockchucker Press) Jerry, Adam and all that use these help! Jim
Old 06-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: lee collet dies

Are these on your 300WM?
if so you might have a look at the belts on the cases that are sticking. You may be getting some expansion at that point.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Yes , .300wm , new lapua brass. I did'nt think the die contacted the belt? will look at thatI'm thinking that its something diff w3ith those cases that stick .Gonna get the calipers and go to work. I have diassembled the die ,can't see anything amiss. Actually , come to think of it they drag all the way back out. Perhaps the hardness is diff erent and the brasss is not springing back?Head scratcher for sure [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img],let me know what yall come up with. Thanks, Jim
Old 06-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure of this but it 's begginning to look like the collet was sticking closed.I think I'm using too much pressure.I'm thinking about a way to mount a scale /gauge to be able to use the same amount and not too much .
Jim
Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

I went back and measured each and every case,all were exactly the same in each dimension ( belt ,just ahead of belt, neck and inside neck), well that is within .0001, of each other except length which varied as much as .004. I took and ran all the cases into the die by hand (die not in press)and was able to push in and pull out.what about a bit of grit on the mandrel?
Old 06-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

Jimm,
I will be very dissapointed if you use Lee collet dies for your 243 Ackley when you get, i dont want to open the debate on the pros and cons of Lee dies, etc but from an engineering point of view Lee equipment is [censored].

A quality rifle deserves quality handloads from quality reloading equipment, which i'm afraid you will never get from Lee dies.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 06-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Centrepunch,
Actually I have Redding comp. neck bushing die for the 243 AI (which is on it's way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). The Lee collet Die is for my 300 win mag (still being built by Chris Matthews [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])I really think a bit of grit was getting trapped between the mandrel and the neck causing it to drag hard out of the collet and then less drag out of the die.Have you ever used these dies ? they are simplicity itself .There are several guys here that use them and love them aaand get good results.As far as the reddings I will probably mess up more than I fix with them until I learn how to use them. see ya, Jim