Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lee Collet die or Redding bushing die for best neck sizing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Bronze Member

Lee Collet die or Redding bushing die for best neck sizing?

I am about to buy some new dies and would like input on both dies and process. A lot of people like bumping the shoulders with a FL die and then using the Lee collet die for neck sizing. I've also noticed a lot of people argue that the bushing dies give you more ability to control neck tensions.

I'm loading a 7mm RM and would like your opinions please... I already have a RCBS comp set with an inline seater - so I'm asking specifically about the neck dies and process. All brass has been fire formed.

This will be used for long range hunting so the ability to take the ammo into the field and perform at it's best is obiously the goal. I am trying to lower my runout as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lee Collet die or Redding bushing die for best neck sizing?

I believe the Lee neck die is superior to all others, unless you're a BR shooter. But THEN you wouldn't use threaded dies at all.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
I believe the Lee neck die is superior to all others, unless you're a BR shooter. But THEN you wouldn't use threaded dies at all.
+1 ....
Old 08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

First I will say, I have never used the Lee dies so I can't compare. But I just started using the Redding "S" comp dies with my Lapua (recommended by my smith) and I am very impressed. Easy to use, true necks and minimal case stretch. My runout is .001" or less measured .100" above the brass. I will be buying them for everything I am serious about loading one at a time. They are a bit spendy.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

"My runout is .001" or less measured .100" above the brass"

I use common Remington, Federal and WW brass, slightly neck turned just enough to clean up about three quarters of the circumference. I do have to cull maybe 10% of my cases but that still makes the keepers much less expensive than Lapua or Norma.

After one firing, then neck sized with my Lee Collet dies and seated with Forster "BR" dies, my runout is typically >.001", measured as close as possible to the bullet's nose. That's a much more significant measureing point than checking just out of the case's mouth. The Run-Out difference there can be as much as three times greater than near the mouth. Or more, depending on the exposed length of the bullet.

And I have used button neck sizers. No thanks, to each his own but I'll stick to Lee's.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

I've had difficulties with runout with a factory sized chamber and thinnish Win (unturned but sorted) brass. I needed to use a 330 bushing to get tension right and fired OD was 340. I even tried sizing down in stages. It caused a bunch of runout. Redding do identify this as a problem in their tech tips and in a query recommended that I try a regular die with a sizer button instead.

I'm waiting for my Lee collett die and will report back.

Thicker brass in my chamber (or a tighter chamber) should be just fine with the Reddings.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

I use Wilson and Redding bushing dies. But, do not rely on the diameter printed on the bushing. Check them with a mic after sizing.

I shoot a Savage .223 in factory class competition. A buddy kept telling me about how great the collet sizing die was, so I ordered one. I just could not get on to the method of squeezing the ram up to just the right spot each time. It was not as consistent as bushings. No thanks to collet dies, don't want them.