Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lee Collet Die not sizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lee Collet Die not sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
With the Lee Collet Neck Die, IF you put the proper pressure on the press lever (about 20#) the case necks will get sized down as far as they can get.

IF you put massively excessive pressure on the lever all you will get is the top cap of the die stripped up and out of the die body.

Nothing will be gained by any changes to the shell holder.
Boomtube,

You are correct and I had to rethink why this works for me.

My comments hinge on me decapping as a separate step. I don't use the Lee decapper mandrel. If you do so as per the instructions, you can polish the mandrel to get a little more neck tension for resized cases.

I set mine up in a Forster Coax press that stops at the same spot so that no more or less force will cause any more or less travel in the die. Doing so allows me to control sizing and neck tension as per my own requirements. With the Forster, I don't have to mess with shellholder thickness, but I have done so in the past.

Depending on how you set up, you may have to rely strictly on consistent pressure. ...and, Lee cautions against the use of toggle or snap over presses due to lack of "feel". I don't like relying on "feel".

I'm not saying mine's the best way. But, I like the results.

Thanks for correcting me,
Richard
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: Lee Collet Die not sizing

Measure the mandrel and if need be reduce the diameter. Some mandrels are too large to permit sufficient sizing.

Turn it down or chuck it in a drill press and sort it out with emery paper. I needed to do this with my 270 die and my new 308 die is a problem too. If I do that I like to put a more gardual taper on the bottom too.