Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lazzeroni Warbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Lazzeroni Warbird

Hey everyone Ive searched the internet looking for warbird loads and cant find much. I have the data from Lazzeronis website but im looking for petloads and loads that just seem to work. My rifle is the Sako trgs/m995 withthe 26" barrel, 1-12 twist. As of now im looking at using Bergers, Barnes and Cutting edge bullets but I'll try any bullet. Thanks for your help
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Lazzeroni Warbird

Let me get home from work and I can forward you a bunch of my loads for the ones I have worked with
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

Thank you, much appreciated
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

Anyone else?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

below is a post I found dating back to '04 when I was messing with the ol' Warbird... It is a helluva cartridge if ya like fast 30 cals, got into some trouble on other forums , seems some guys had a hard time believing a Warbird was capable of such fine accuracy and velocity... the case for the Warbird is very well designed and ya can't "improve" it with any substantial gains, better left alone as it is very conducive too excellent accuracy... the only shortcoming this cartridge has in my view is highly expensive brass that did not last more than two firing when pushed to Lazz posted velocities, if you keep the horsepower down to 300 RUM velocities your brass should last 6-7 firings or a few more... BUT that was on the old batch of brass, I hear that Hornady is making the new stuff and it's supposed to be a lot better, I never had the chance to use any of it.... I will look through all my crap and see If I can locate some data for ya .

#20 07-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Swamplord
Bronze Member Join Date: May 2004

Re: Best factory rifle accuracy under $1400US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've no experience with the Savage rifles, can't comment on them but do hear a lot of good reports on accuracy from other shooters.

My best shooting factory rifle to date is a Sako TRGS, (out of box, zero mods.) Using 180 grn. 30 Cal. Accubonds I finally achieved that elusive "one holer" at 100 yards, with most groups under 1/2 ".
Considering the fact I'm sending them downrange @ 3520 fps with the 7.82 Warbird that has nearly 1000 rnds. through it, that is stellar performance,it's a tough combination to beat.

Rifle cost $850.00 U.S. several years ago.

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Swamplord; 01-27-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

here's a post of mine from the 24 campfire forums from 2004
might have some info of value, you decide !

Loc: Alaska
I've been working up loads with both the 180 and 200 grn. 30 cal. Accubonds in recent months, the accuracy of these bullets have generated a lot of respect from me. The best groups I've ever accomplished was with the 180's, with the 200's right behind.

One thing I did notice when the seating die was set for the 180's to be just of the rifling, the 200's seat to the exact same OAL based on the ogive of the bullet without readjusting the die, kinda neat that way, I can load both without having to fiddle with the die.

As for using the same seating depth and powder charge from data used for the BTips, I'd approach that with caution, the BTips use a softer lead alloy and a thinner jacket than the Accubonds, also the Accu's are bonded and bullet engraving might be a little tougher and can raise pressures in some rifles. My experience with Partitions vs Swift A-Frames in several calibers has shown that the Swift reached high pressures sooner than the Partition. I figured that the bonded and tougher Swift was harder on the rifling and raised pressures as opposed to the softer lead Partition.
Some say that the Swifts have a softer jacket and are "stickier" in the bore than the Partitions.

I'm sure this is old news,but I'll repeat it anyway,
This is just a comparison to show that It's always a good Idea to back off a little to be on the safe side. What works in other rifles could change dramatically in others.

Cartridge OAL 3.691"
Ogive OAL 3.047"
I'm using 106 grns of RL 25 for the 180 grn. Accubonds for a velocity of 3520 fps.
For the 200 Grn Accubonds I'm stuffing the cases with 102 grns. of rl 25 for 3300 fps. Did load up to a 10 shot ave. of 3385 fps but ran into slightly flattened primers and groups started to suck too opening to a lousy 1 inch from the normal 1/2 " with 3300 fps.

in the pics below ..the 180 gr coated Accubonds on left and 200 gr coated Accubonds on right

**Note**
You will not be able to use this load data unless you coat your bullets with Tungsten Disulfide, which is what I do to all my bullets.. Follow John Lazzeroni's load data from his web page for uncoated bullets.

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Lazzeroni Warbird-warbird-.jpg   Lazzeroni Warbird-warbird-b.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

Swamplord, thank you for all the info. Sounds like you had great accuracy with the accubonds. Do you think I could use the load data by moly coating bullets or does it have to be tungsten?